Thursday, April 17, 2014

Elbows OUT: It isn't personal (really)

When Patrick and I began running, he would laugh at me for my "photo" finishes.  It didn't matter if I was the last person coming in, I was determined to beat the person in front of me, to make me the second to the last person finishing.  
Several racers will talk about how when nearing the finish of a race they begin to pick out targets, other racers, trying to pass them one by one till they cross the finish line.  This is my process as well.  As it turns out while I am slow for miles of running, I have a really strong end push and I can play the "passing game" pretty well.  Only a few times have I been challenged at the finish line by other racers; normally, people my speed are simply "over it" at this point, having exhausted all energy just to see the finish line.  They know they will cross it, and they rarely care that the girl, not in their age bracket, acts like Usain Bolt for the last 100 yards.  In fact I am pretty sure most of them just glance backwards to make sure there isn't a grizzly bear on the beach; because if there was they would need to get their camera ready, since grizzlies are rare at the beach.  
For me going elbows out is simply a way of life.  It is determination bottled up.  I race MY RACE, slow and steady, making sure each step or stroke is well placed and trusted.  I race MY RACE for miles upon miles.  I race MY FINISH LINE for only a split second, but that finish line is the culmination of it all, the training, the early mornings, the stretching, the aches and pains, it is all there and I earned that finish line.  
My finish line is much like life, we travel steady, making strategic moves to better our situation, then we see it the obtainable dream and we push till we have nothing left in order to grab this moment.   And if anyone stands between us and our determined goal we make efforts to present ourselves as the best option, as the person who trained for this moment. 
Now I will clarify, I never play dirty.  If I pass you in the end you have every opportunity to pass me back, to challenge me. 
This was the scene this weekend at a half marathon.  I was slow and steady, running with a group of friends.  We had been jockying back and forth with another racer.  We were a half mile from the finish line, in the final push.  I began my sighting, unknowingly being followed by this fellow racer.  She was in ninja mode, as I was in gladiator mode.  I lengthened my stride.  I quickened my steps.  I made the final turn and I saw it!!!  A little shadow.  I heard it!!  Footsteps quickening.  And I thought, "OH HELL NO!!!!"  She was there coming out wide to my side.  I pressed my feet hard on the ground, my long legs had the upper hand.  She was giving it her all.  I began in the finial yards to pull away.  I was there across the finish line just out of the reach of her and her shadow.  My determination, quickly changed to humor.  I laughed at my actions- let's face it I wasn't making the podium, but I sure looked like I was in the Olympics.  After gathering my finish items, I turned to tell my fellow athlete, "GOOD JOB."  I gave her credit for me being a few seconds faster in the race, she was my motivation to finish.  She told me she had been watching and following me for some time.  I was on her list.  Now I am a target for her next race!  
This finish was noted by Patrick, as he walked up laughing at me.  What he failed to mention is that he had a similar finish.   Yep, my laid back, calm, people loving husband came across the line elbows out looking to run over those in his path. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment