Friday, January 9, 2015

Advice to First Timers

Jennifer's First Half!!
While I am not first or fast out there I feel like I have been doing this long enough to give some advice to the first timers.  
**The reason I feel that maybe I should give some general advice is that I have been running in events since 2008.  I have run most distances and on most terrains.  Also it seems I am being asked for advice (still weird).**
Remember first you already did you the two hardest parts: 

1) YOU SIGNED UP! 
2) YOU SHOWED UP!!

I hope you did the 3rd important part and TRAINED too! 

Now advice for race day prep and race day advice: 

RACE DAY PREP
  • Do packet pick up early.  For your first time you don't want to be standing at the packet pick up on the morning of your race.  It causes anxiety.   But remember if you can't get there to get your packet early you will be okay.
  • Check the weather.  Never freak out.  Weather is what it is.  it makes us tougher every step of the way. 
    This was for a 5K. :)
  • Lay out your race day gear.  Everything from underwear to shoes to nutrition to after clothes.  I set up my gear on the bed as if I am putting it on- visor, sunglasses, bra, shirt, run belt (with number attached), shorts (built-in undies), knee braces, socks, shoes.  Then I set out nutrition (for long runs).  Then I packet it in my bag, piece by piece, except for what I will wear.  I also lay out my clothes I am wearing to the race.   Then I grab out after race clothes.  This is helpful in the winter as you will sweat then when you stop you will get cold.
  • Set your alarm clock. 
  • Eat dinner a little early. 
  • Go to bed early if the have to get up earlier than normal.   Now it may feel like Christmas Eve and you can't sleep.  Take deep breaths and with each breath fill your body with a color.  See it come over your toes, breath, then up your legs, breath, then into your torso, breath, the don your arms, breath, then up your neck breath, then over your head, breath, then bask in your colored warmth.  And sleep.  

RACE DAY ADVICE: 
SHOES!!!
  •  Remember your shoes.  You can run without them but it might be rough.  They should be in your gear bag or with your morning clothes.
  • Stick to your plan. STAY THE COURSE.  Your first race is not the first time you should try something new. If your new socks just came in the mail, today is not that day to wear them.  
  • Trust in yourself.  This is a journey.  A life change.  This is the first step to other journeys.  Trust that you can do it.  Because all the rest of us on that start line with you know you can do it.   
  • SMILE!!!!  We are all glad you are there, you should be too. 
    HAVE FUN!!!
  • Don't under estimate your ability. 
  • Don't think that because you didn't win that you didn't try.  A DFL (Dead F**king Last) is better than a DNS (Did Not Start). 
  • Be willing to assess the situation.  If you had wanted to run the full distance but on mile 2 get a horrible leg pain, take time to assess.  This does not mean your race day is over it just means there is some change.  These changes on the course are to be expected. 
  • Give yourself permission to try and try again.  If you need to walk or want to walk this is okay.  It does not mean your race is over, you don't get to throw in the towel.  Take your minute and go at it again. 

My last piece of RACE DAY advice is this: 
HAVE FUN

If you are not having fun then at some point you missed the point.  This is fun. Race day is fun. Get involved in the race.  Sing the National Anthem. Yell when they say GO! Say thank you to the police and volunteers.  Joke with the guys giving you directions.  Look around at the beauty of the course (something you don't see from a car). Feel refreshed by the water at water stops.  Count down the miles (I do mine in the voice of the Count from Sesame Street. A 5, ha ha ha.  A 6 ha ha ha.  It makes me laugh). And when that finish line appears, you push your final push, you throw your hands up in the air and you proclaim your finish!!!!  

I AM HERE!!!  VICTORY IS MINE!!!!    


Happy racing to all of those towing the line for the first time and to those who have towed it a thousand times.  You are each my hero.  And I am proud to call you comrades. 






No comments:

Post a Comment