Saturday, February 7, 2015

I Want To Be Better

As January of 2015 has come and gone and here we are in February I figured it would be a good time to really get out there my goals for this race year.  I have thought long and hard about what I want and I have decided it comes down to this: I want to be better.  That is my goal.  
As with all goals in order to know what you are working towards you have to define the goal, this meant for me there was a need to define what "better" means.  This was where I started to have a problem. What did better mean?  And how would I know I was better?
Well, the first part of this was easy for me, I wanted to define better as a time.  I am not normally one who hopes to cut time down on races, I look at each race as did I try my best.  but this year I do have a time goal, I want to shave 10 minutes from my Ironman distance time.  I have three opportunities to achieve this goal this year.  I feel this is reasonable and obtainable.  This year I know what to expect from this race and I think that gives me some advantage over the time.  
After I set this goal for time I thought about if this is really the only definition of better for me.  I came up with, "no".  So what else do I want to do better. 
I want to be even better at engaging in the racing community in a helpful manner.  This year Patrick and I have taken on writing out Tri Club newsletter and we are members of a Tri Team.  Both of these give opportunities  to give back to our sport and physical community.  So this year on the race course I am going to say even more thanks yous and good jobs to the volunteers and other racers.  I am going to cheer on those who I encounter who are struggling.  And even before the start line I am going to support, encourage, and push those around me to be better.  So be prepared for when you see me on the course I will yell louder and push a little harder.
These are my goals.  I have means of getting there and a course of action.  Here we go. 

Being better does not mean changing the world, it simple means being the change you want to see in the world and in yourself.         

No comments:

Post a Comment