Monday, April 27, 2015

From New Orleans With LOVE

I know it has been a few weeks since we raced New Orleans IM 70.3 and I should have had a race report out sooner, but as has been the case with several post race processings, as of late, this one took some time to really process all of the emotions and events of the day.  
While Patrick and I have been racing this distance for 2 years now, this race is special to me for several reasons: 1) it was our first race at this distance; 2) it was our first IM race; 3) it was a rough race the first time. 
What a pair we make!!!

When we decided to race IM NOLA again we both had mixed feelings.  We only signed up because a friend of ours was wanting to do a race at this distance.  We of course signed up early; and turns out our firned didn't sign up at all, due to life factors.  This left us facing down a race that we were not initially planning to race and really didn't have a great experience the first time we raced it.  But what are you going to do-- life gives you lemons and you can either make lemonade or throw them at people, either way you still have to do something. We were going to race!  
IM NOLA isn't a favorite of ours due to the swim being in the marina with boat oil and some high parasite levels, on the bike you are for sure going to have a head wind and a cross wind, and the run is sunny, which also means hot (especially given the changes to the course this year, which would mimic the course for the marathon of sun, sun, and more sun). But like I said this race holds a special place for us as our first 70.3 and first Ironman event; that was the positive we were banking on for this return. 

As we went in to the race we talked about finishing the race together; starting together would not be possible given our separate start waves (we are rule followers).  We were not sure what the plan was going to be as we started out that morning, we were still on the fence.  Patrick decided we would call our shot on the bike course.  
The weather the day before was less than pleasant, so much so that the race team made it a choice to leave our bikes in transition.  We choose to take bikes in the morning in order to avoid extra rain and winds.  By morning the winds were calmer- not gone but not blasting any more- and the rains had passed.  We thought we would have overcast conditions for most of the day but we would be wrong about that when the skies parted halfway through the bike and then beat down on the run. 
The swim went well for the most part, a few grabs here and there and Patrick took a blow to the face, but we lived. We both actually had really good swims.  In fact Patrick had such a good swim (in his new wetsuit) that he shaved about 13 minutes off his previous swim time and had a swim time only five minutes longer than me!!!  I guess pool time is paying off!!! 
Patrick now had a 15 minute head start onto the bike course, where I guess he decided to be a speed demon because it took me till mile 30-35 to catch him. The winds which had laid down for the swim stated to build back up as the sun peaked out.  When I did finally catch him it was after the turn around point, but I had missed him passing me in the other direction, so I was panicking.  I started to fear he wasn't on the course, when I caught him I was so very happy.  I had that chest tightness that happens as you start to cry, feeling over whelmed knowing his being so far out before I caught him meant he was having a great race!  he needed this great race, after several rough ones in recent months.
We called it on the bike to stay together.  Since drafting is illegal we played a little leap frog for the last 20 miles.  Four bike lengths is just close enough to yell at each other in order to have a conversation.  We got passed during a few conversations about the race and the wind and Patrick's new biking shorts- everyone passed with a smile, I think they felt the same as us and just had no one to yell it at. A few times I got a little too far ahead, I am not really good at glancing back so when I did if there was someone there in a dark top my brain assumed it was Patrick, right up till they passed me! Turns out it throws off other racers when you call them babe as they pass you.  
Towards the end of the bike I stopped at the porta potty (you knew it was going to happen sooner or later).  This would be one of the funniest porta potty experiences, and no I did not get stuck.  I was parked and in the little house when Patrick came by on his bike, yelling out my name to double check it was me stopped.  I yelled back and he kept on going, "See ya soon."  I was already laughing that our teamwork was to the porta potty check-in level!!!  Then as both myself and the guy next to me came out of our individual porta potties, he laughed at me and said, "I guess you have some catching up to do." Yep he got a laugh out of the check-in too.  
As I was exiting the bathroom there was a lady screaming.  As I got onto my bike I saw her pull off and just scream at the top of her lungs.  She was having bad cramping, limiting her ability to move.  Myself and another gentleman flagged down volunteers from the nearby water station who were sending medical support.  The other guy gave her some salt tabs to try to help.  This would not be the last person on the bike course or in this race who we would pass cramping, the heat was taking its toll.  
I hit the transition area just ahead of Patrick.  Together we left out onto the run course.  Shortly after starting out on the course we came across a friend of ours on the sidelines cheering.  There is truly nothing better than a friendly face, especially when this friendly face is willing to give you a hug as you run by, even though you are sweaty and nasty!!!!!   
A few stomach issues for Patrick had us slow at the start of the run, but we started to make up time and started to pass those who had passed us.  The heat was really kicking in at this point and the lack of shade on the course, which ran next to the lake, was noticeable for every step.  In the brief moments where a tree offered shade it felt like Autumn, even the breeze was cooler; unfortunately these spots were less that 10 yards in length and stopping underneath was not an option.  The turn around would offer some comfort, just knowing only six more miles to go.
As we began to quickly near the finish area our friend again jumped up and down at the street's edge.  It was just the extra boost we needed to pass a few more people and then cross the finish line, together. 
Hand in Hand
The bonus to racing a lot is the announcers at the finish line get to know you.  As we crossed the finish line, me in my Gavel gear, Patrick in his TGC gear, to the announcement of Pea Ridge crossing the line, we were hand in hand- it was a perfect mix of our racing community and our part in it.  A moment I would have never expected to experience; one I will never forget.  In that moment I remembered the feeling of finishing this race the first time- knowing it could be done and that I was able to do it-, it was intensified by us being there together.  I didn't have to wait to hug Patrick, I didn't have to wonder where he was on the course or how he was doing, instead I got to hug him right then and to know he was safe.  
Patrick said after the race that I sacrificed my race goal, to be faster than the last time on this course.  I don't see it that way at all.  I simply changed my goal.  There will be other races and other days but that moment when my heart knew I was where I needed to be, that moment would only happen then. 
We waited till the last racer finished.  The race officials allowed for all racers on the course to finish.  As we watched story after story cross the finish line it was an amazing feeling.  we watched the finish of the woman whose husband passed away while riding the course prerace last year.  We watched as the running nun finished her race. We watched as people pushed their bodies to a brink they never though they would reach. We watched them all cross that line- a smile and full heart.  All of us did 70.3 miles, all of us did it our own way, and all of us were welcomed at the finish line to smiles, and music, and the sound of our name being yelled out! 
Will we return? One day.  Will we race it together? Maybe.  Will we forever have this moment to remember that together with a little pushing, and laughing, and pulling we can overcome any challenge? Always, we will always have this moment!    
Did it again!!!  TOGETHER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment