Saturday, June 13, 2015

Spreading the Word of Favor House, 2000 miles away

On the race course there are many stories.  We all hit the pavement for our own reasons, to face our own demons, to challenge ourselves to our own limits.  While I value and hold dear my journey to and on the course, nowadays I get to also serve a different purpose on the course.  I get to be a member of a team with a purpose.  Our purpose is not about who is the fastest or who is has the most medals, instead it is about a loyalty to the sport, to the other athletes, and to the cause which we serve.  The cause we serve is printed on our kits and in each of our hearts, the Gavel Girlz team serves to support our local domestic violence shelter- Favor House.  
This cause is very dear to me as I work in a field in my day to day job which has a direct relationship with this shelter and to the women and children struggling to overcome a history of abuse.  This philanthropy was one of the motivators for me to join this team.  However, I never knew what role the Favor House would play in my racing.  I certainly did not expect it to be a conversation had while 2500 miles away from the shelter.  

During the Escape from Alcatraz event I heard- "Nice kit", "Cool Kit", "Those are awesome", "What brand is that".  When the lady running beside me in mile 4 asked where she could get a kit like mine I told her it was the kit for our team.  A conversation started about the team and led to a conversation about our support of the Favor House and what the Favor House is and does for those in our community.  The woman was impressed with the our community having a domestic violence shelter to help to protect women as they leave dangerous situations.  She asked several more questions about the shelter and our relationship to the shelter; I felt compelled to tell her that many communities have places like Favor House.  I told her about there being crisis hotlines for help to link to services.  
I don't know if she wanted to volunteer or support such a service in her community, or if she or someone she knew needed such services.  Either way I was glad to have spoken to her about our mission to offer support to these families as they make life changes and to let her know people are there to help.
I believe there are moments in our lives which should not make sense but may change the world of one person.  I hope this moment, if nothing else, provides an opportunity for this woman to help someone or herself. 
Please take time to be aware of those around you, listen to what others are saying to you, offer kindness, know that change is not easy, and have faith in the greater good of mankind.  I am thankful for this moment to share one of the reasons I push the pavement.  
We wear the Favor House name on our kits over our hearts because they are forever in our hearts on and off the course. 


If you ever need help call 850 434 6600.  This is a 24/7 crisis line.  There is help. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment