Sunday, November 20, 2016

Hello, Cold Water

During training most of us know the temperatures will gradually go up or down- this happens each year with the changing seasons. It isn't the inevitable change which sends athletes running back indoors, instead it is the sudden 20 degrees colder than yesterday morning which send us running inside to don more layers. This hopeful progression to cold is no different in the water. Making today a little shocking to the system. 
After a short and slow 5K run this morning followed by pancakes and bacon we headed out to the beach. Yesterday I had nixed the idea of going in the water due to the high chop conditions and brutal wind. I was determined today to swim. Last weekend the water was 71 degrees and calm, the only annoyance was seaweed and something that stung a little. Patrick wore no wet-suit as we swam our 1.2 miles. I was not about to go without my wet-suit, I needed to practice in it any how, so I put on my sleeveless. While I experienced a drop in body temperature and the frustrations of being cold, it was honestly not bad and required little recovery efforts. 
Well, that was last weekend. This weekend brought in a cold front taking our air temperature form upper 70's to a high in the 60's today and plummeting the water temperature to 62 degrees. (I will gladly admit to my cold water swimming friends out there I know this is not "that" cold in comparison to what you are swimming in, but it is cold.)
Today I decided the full wet-suit was a MUST for me, even though I hope for conditions and acclimation such that on Frogman race day I will be able to wear my sleeveless. To add to the cold the winds were still at 6-14mph and the air temperature was at 53 degrees when I hit the water.  It was cold just standing on land and the waves were bashing into me as I walked out, ensuring I was sprayed with the cold water before diving in.
You may have noticed I went from us/we to I, well the water was expected to be a little warmer so a friend joined us but decided to side with safety and not go forward; Patrick, who was planning to swim with no wet-suit, called it after wadding out to set the thermometer (I don't know how he made it that deep without a wet-suit). 
I swam my first loop, honestly only expecting to do one loop, this put me just under a half a mile. My arms were tired from fighting the wet-suit, the waves, and the current. I was trying hard to stay out a little ways and swim in a straight line but the waves were pushing me back towards shore; granted this was nicer on the return trip, as there was a pushing current. After the first loop Patrick checked on me and the "official" water temperature. Thermometer read 64 degrees. And I decided to head back out for another loop and complete my mile. 
On the second loop Patrick walked the shore line to make sure I was good and to make sure the kite surfer saw me. Thankfully the kit surfer did see me and stayed back form my path. As we was packing up I was headed out to the sign so he stopped Patrick on shore to ask why a swimmer would be out in these conditions. Patrick told him about the Frogman event and my training needs.  Pretty much what I gathered from what Patrick told me- the Canadian thought I was crazy.   
After the second loop I needed 120 more yards to complete the full mile, so I swam the pilings and then headed in. The whole swim I had been thinking of warm things, I even put into practice a visualization that each breath I took was pulling the sun into my body and warming me up. Who could be cold if the sun was shining inside of them? I actually didn't feel the cold fully until getting out of the water. My body temperature had dropped some while in the water, so getting out of the wet closes and into something dry was my main focus. Patrick wrapped me in towels and rubbed my back as I collected my things to change clothes. 
After dressing and sorting items, I got into my blanket and grabbed my hot tea, which made a world of difference- thank you Patrick from buying the steel, insulated tumbles at Sam's Club. My body temperature increased steadily and now I am simply left with the soreness from being tensed up due to the cold.
Today was a rough day, with the sudden temperature change and the water conditions. But it was made better by having a clear plan of action for recovery and by reminding myself I was warm during the swim. While my body reacted to the cold my mind remained focused and I found ease in knowing I had hot tea and blanket and Patrick all there waiting. So today a mile in 64 degrees got done, now to build back the speed and increase the distance!!  

Donation Site for Tampa Bay Frogman 2017

I am are continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 



We've been blogging for a while now. If you enjoyed this one, you may enjoy others. Look though the Blog Archive on the right, for more of our experiences and random thoughts. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our adventures.  
Please feel free to share our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment