Sunday, August 30, 2015

It had to be said!!!

In life there are sayings that stick with you.  Most of them are passed down through a community: Time heals all wounds; red sky in morning fisherman's warning, red sky at night fisherman's delight; You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.  To each of us these sayings bring back different thoughts or feelings- I know my heart will heal; I know the wading waters will be waiting; I know sweetness or kindness brings us together.  These are "facts" of life.

Then there are sayings in life that were said only to us, only in a moment of passing, but they become a staple of our interactions with others and in who we are. 

Turns out sayings are everywhere.  In our racing life we have found a few which have stood or are starting to stand the test of time. Here a look into our words:
 
"I'm not even trying to pass you."  Yeah, I said it but it wasn't what I meant as I went buzzing past Patrick on one of our very early in triathlon cycling trips.  Yes I had passed him, but what I meant to say was I had no intention of passing him but I didn't want to move my hands to press my breaks.  Now this saying or derivatives of it is used by us as we pass each other going up hill or on mile 80 of a long ride.  I am sure to others someone yelling, "I'm not even trying to pass you", seems harsh but to us it is a memory from the beginning of this journey and it makes us laugh.
"Ice your eggs."  This little gem of a saying came to us from our friend whose English sometimes has need for translation.  This time there was no need to translate, she meant to pour the ice down your pants (for guys there would be eggs, or testicles).  Now on any given race or just a hot day you may hear, "Ice your eggs" being shouted in the distance.  No worries there is not a chicken crisis it is just a bunch of athletes needing ice to put down their shorts.
"There's air at the top."  This is my repeat saying as I run or bike up hills.  I asked a running buddy of ours, who was suddenly running much faster than me, "what changed?"  He told me he no longer stops to walk on the hills, when he is out of breath he keeps telling himself there is air at the top.  A few of you now realize what I was yelling at you on bridge runs or as we run up 12th Avenue Hill.  It has never failed there has always been air at the top.
"Knee pads" (said gangster style).  This statement actually started a great friendship.  It occurred when a "then" unknown friend yelled this at me as he was coming up behind me on mile 9 or 10 at a half marathon.  I didn't find it humorous at the time and thought he was picking on me.  Turns out he simply miss spoke- calling my knee braces, knee pads.  It still sticks in my head because sometimes you just have to laugh.  This friend has taught me that running is more about laughing and living than about the miles ahead of you. 
"Put one foot in front of the other (and soon you'll be walking out the door)." A saying that has gotten me across many finish lines.  It seems most of our racing ends in running so conversations with ones self about stepping forward are always necessary.
"Press On."  On my arm for many races you will find written, "SS BP Press On".  It stands for "Stay Strong, Be Positive, Press On."  This has become my racing, and to an extent my life, mantra.  Many times a race comes down to a mental game.  You have to refocus your energies towards staying positive with yourself, this mantra helps me to refocus.

Whatever your words, on the race course they stick with you.  So make them positive.     

I am continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read the blog posting below.  Thank you for your on going support of our adventure. 
Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim
  

No comments:

Post a Comment