Saturday, October 10, 2015

2015 Ironman Chattanooga 144.6



We are continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 


So I completed an Ironman…. Said like, “Yeah, it’s Tuesday.”
I wish sometimes I could be that calm about it but I am not.  Ask me if I did an Ironman and I turn into a kid on Christmas, telling all about new toys and how they are the BEST TOYS EVER!!! 
I thought, and I think others did too, that with this being my third time at this distance that I would calm down and talk about it in my inside voice, but NOPE, still jumping up and down about the 14 hours and 19 minutes out there. 
I already talked about some of my excitement(in previous blog) in this race verses the other two full IM distance races, in that seeing Patrick twice on the run course and him finishing the course puts this race above the others in excitement.  Asides from that very exciting factor this race still held some great moments for me.
Last year we thought we had a prerace plan, but I think this year we improved on the plan by leaps and bounds.  The first thing was getting to town a day earlier.  This allowed us to do packet pick up and race meeting in a smaller group; no pushing or rushing.  It also allowed us two full (rainy) prerace days in Chattanooga.  In these days we had time to relax, run in our underwear, swim upstream, and hang out with friends and family.
On Friday we spent the day riding around the mountains with my parents.  We took it slow for the day, went to a great little barbeque place then up and around Signal Mountain.  My dad thankfully drove us around the mountain—white knuckling it all the way in the light rain and fog.  As I yelled, “Look at that tree”, “Oh, and that one”.  After our relaxing drive we headed out to the Underwear Run, an event I highly recommend to all persons racing or attending the event.  The Underwear Run was a fun time for a great cause.  There are not many moments when you get to run down the city streets in a group of people in their underwear without getting the cops called, and in fact getting waves and hoots of support. 
Friday ended with dinner at a home where friends were staying.  It was nice to sit with athletes and support systems and just know we were all in the same boat, facing down a very long day soon.  I was good to share stories about other races and life.  As we sat on the roof top looking out over the city one thing was clear, in two days we would all give it our all.  We knew we would be without each other out there on the course, but at the same time we all knew we would have that support with us--- support from home. 
For Saturday it was up early to go swim in the rain, upstream, both ways…. Okay not both ways but you get the point.  Team Trouble jumped in the water, which was warm, especially in the rain.  We headed upstream and went for about a third of a mile, passing under two bridges.  At the second bridge I had a little time before the group caught up to me.  I flipped over on my back and watched the rain fall and drip off the walking bridge.  I thought to myself, “We will run over this bridge.”  From here underneath it the bridge was not daunting, it was not a marker of a moment in time on the run, instead it was simply breath taking.  Every board, every bar, every bolt, was there to hold us as future steps would pound the boards.  I would never see or notice the supports of this bridge on the run, but here as the river rushed past me, I would find peace in knowing this bridge would hold.  Then in a second it was back to reality.  The rain was still coming down when we made the turn back to the swim out.  This swim direction was much easier, being that it went downstream.  After getting out we had some good food at a little breakfast place downtown… it serves lunch all day so I was incredibly happy. 

With full bellies we unpacked our gear for placement in transition.  The rain was still falling, but more as a heavy mist.  My bike was set up pretty much in the same spot as last year.  In transition I got rack my bike a rack away from a woman who I have been following on Facebook who runs in memory of fallen soldiers.  Her bike position stood out with the American flag.  As I racked my bike I took a moment to simply appreciate what she was doing and had been doing and to take into consideration on my race day that I have before me an opportunity given to me by those who ensure our freedom.  There is nothing but respect for those soldiers whose names she bears and for all the names not written who have fallen in order for us to stand.    
I racked my bike, took one last look around and headed out to the bag drop off.  This stage is always quick and painless.    
PEA RIDGE
Thankfully we had our PEA RIDGE friends who hung out with us for the rest of the day a we explored Rock City.  Between Mike and Ras, and my parents it was easy to forget with was looming tomorrow.
Once back at the hotel sleep came amazingly easy.  We were up at 3, showered, and ready to go.  A few more bags in hand to drop off for special needs, but other than that it was now just us getting there. 
Race morning is always an exciting time.  Mostly just listening to the stories of others.  There was a gentleman in front of us in line to get into transition who was taking about working towards a Legacy spot.  He talked about several races overseas and several flat tires.  I am pretty sure he had a flat or wreck every time he did an IM distance.  Some would think, “WOW that many crashes, why does he do this?”  I just thought, GOOD FOR HIM!!! 
Transition opened, our game plan went into action.  Since our Special needs bags were already dropped off we entered transition and went to our bikes for a double check then each of our bags for a double check, then found my parents again and off to the buses.  Unlike other IM event Chattanooga is a rolling start, and with an already limited time we wanted to be as close to the start as possible- every second could be needed.
When we arrived at swim start we were able to clearly see the blown up arches marking the path to the water.  We knew we were close, even closer than last year.  We set up camp, thanks to my parents who brought blankets.  We rested.  Well, we tried to rest.  A woman was right next to us, honestly in our bubble, talking very loudly to her group about how she can’t sleep.  Patrick and I both wanted to tell her that if she stopped talking she could rest and so could we.  The situation got worse when a friend of hers came up for the back of the line because she wasn’t going to wait and she needed to be towards the front.  This friend joining her group nearly pushed me over the edge, as we had to be cruel and fair to our friends who were running late and tell them we could not allow them in the line with us.  So as our friends sat in the back of the line so we could be fair to other racers like us who got up earlier and made every effort to be forward in line, this lady just barges up.  I was doing good not getting in the middle of things until she said, “Well, I am sure no one will mind.”  Even though she was not in front of me, I minded, I told her that she was wrong in saying no one would mind and if that’s how she felt she should go ask all the people she is cutting in front of.  She just stared at me, like I kicked her kid.  I informed her that many people are trying to get extra time so they sacrificed unlike her.  She continued to stare.  Her friend then changed the topic- I am sure to something about rude people butting in conversations. 
A few deep breaths and I was back to good.   This was a good thing because time was ticking away.  They were getting ready to put the pros in the water, so we packed up camped, handed it off to my parents, and gave final hugs to them.  The cannons went off and the race was on. The men pros were going.  Then another cannon and the women pros were going.  Then the age group athletes started to gather close in the corral. All excited.  I kissed Patrick d wished him a good race.  This was it, goggles down.  The third cannon went off---  GO!!!!!!  The group moved fast and within a minute we were splashing into the water.
The water was warm, especially since the morning had a slight chill.  The current was slow, much slower than last year.  I took me a few moments to get my bearings and to find my line.  Then I settled into my pattern—1, 2, 3, breathe, 1, 2, 3, breathe.   My swim went off without a hitch, a few arm and leg hits but nothing major I felt good coming out of the water.  The friend of ours from Pea Ridge were overlooking the swim exit and run up to transition.  I knew they were there when from the crowds I heard, “PEA RIDGE!” A sound of home and comfort, that made me smile. 
The sun was up, although we still had cloud coverage, the day was drying out.  It was time to get on the bike and go.  The bike ride was challenging, as it was previously.  Adding to the challenge this year was head wind.  Being from Florida I was fine with a headwind, but how we had headwinds and mountains in front of us is beyond me.  But I would be faced with challenges before the first head winds really hit.  On one of the earlier climbs my chain popped off.  Of course this happens the one time there is a group of people around me (we will say they weren’t drafting, but some were really close).  I lost all forward motion and to the best of my abilities coasted to the far right to get off the road.  At the time a friend and home town area athlete came by.  She yelled out for me to get out of her way.   Yep for those of you who don’t know her, you are thinking what I am sure several other cyclist were thinking about her as she yelled out to a broke down cyclist.  But for me it was another laughing moment.  I knew who I was and that it was all in jest.  The only sad thing is this particular athlete is really great at racing butt slaps and I missed me opportunity!!! 
I was able to get my chain back on with little problem.  I called out that I was returning to the road and off I went again.  I was a little more cautious on shifting and hills for a few miles but after that I returned to the thought that everything was good.  Turns out it was.  Even with the winds my bike time was faster than the previous years, the coaching was paying off.   I think Kenneth who was an “Ironman Executive Challenge” athlete, may have also helped my biking.  I don’t know how he kept ending up behind me but we got to know each other a little more each pass, he was all smiles and “good days”.
One of the things I have to mention about this route is just how beautiful it is.  The farm country and little towns, with volunteer fire departments dotted in between, reminds you that even in big cities you are never far away from the middle of nowhere.  Some may see me as a distracted cyclist but I moo at all the cows and waves at all the people sitting on their front porch. 
Upon returning to the city and managing across a few railroad tracks, it was time to go run; well first it was time to change.   I grabbed my run bag and headed to transition.  My back was locked up and tense from the bike, so I was struggling to get my top off.  The female volunteer who was helping me to get my ear out and set up asked if I needed help with my top, I said yes and the next thing I knew my top was being put away in my bag.  She also helped me get my sports bra on, which I can honestly say is the fastest I have ever gotten on a sports bra.  I put on my braces and shoes and grabbed my visor, shirt, and race belt.  I ran out still getting dressed.  
The crowd was cheering and the volunteers were all smiles.  I was off the bike in plenty of time to have 20 minute miles on the run, if needed.   My legs felt like noodles, so I walked a few minutes.  As the ramp declined I began to jog.  We made a quick right hand turn and I heard those words again, “PEA RIDGE”.  There was home!!!  My parents and friend were standing there gathered together for me.  My mom was all smiles and made me smile as I headed out for 26 more miles. 
These miles on this day would test me.  It was now warm out and I was begging for the sun to go down.  But there came Kenneth again running up behind me.  He again was all smiles and challenged me to catch him (that didn’t happen).  The run brought me across a few more friends from home, one who was actually lapping me by mile 4 headed out for her last few miles.  On the route I ran with a member of our Gavel team for a little while.  I have to admit it was a boost to be out there knowing some of the others out there with you.  As he and I jockeyed back and forth another member of our team can running up and pass, but not without an exchange of words of encouragement.  As the miles passed me and my team member grew further and further apart.
The miles trekked on and so did I.  I honestly had a lot of stop to pee moments and a stomach that was not super happy.  But I pushed on, porta potty after porta potty.  I never felt “bad” per say, but I it wasn’t really comforting either.  I hit the bridge that I had swam under and took a moment to be appreciative for it being there; there on that bridge I also found something else I needed, spectators.  I love spectators on these races because for most it does not matter who you are they love you because they live with or support another person like you- so to an extent they get it.  After the bridge I headed to the hilly side of the run for the first time.  It was actually not as bad as I remembered but this may in part have been to once again the great support out there.  From volunteers’ to police officers to people having parties, they were all yelling and congratulating.  Out here is also where is starts to become hard to tell who is on their first loop and who is going around again.  As I came out of the golf course houses and back towards the highway to go back out on my second loop I could hear the announcer calling out Ironman finishers, I knew I had time and will power to be one of them.  I also at this point knew something else which quickened my pace--- Patrick was just behind me.  As I mentioned in my pervious posting I could not have been happier.  I marked the time and miles and I knew he was going to finish, he could crawl it in from there and still finish in time.  
On my second loop the sun set, I wasn’t as close to the water as I wanted to be in order to watch it but it was still nice.  When I did reach the water there was a tug boat coming in.  Now this may not seem like a ground breaking event to anyone else but when you have been out on the course for 12 hours, the COOLEST thing you have ever seen!!!  The tug was for whatever reason shining its light on the shore line.  I am sure this was point of reference spotting, but in my mind he was lighting my way.  Up and over the walking bridge one more time and into the golf course.  I was about 5 miles from the finish when fireworks in the neighborhood starting going off--- BIG fireworks.  In fact the police office left his post on the road to go over and talk with the firework lighters (the officer was very nice, but I think he was nervous about the fireworks hitting runners).  As I ran past the golf course houses one last time I prepared my mind for the hill ahead of me.  The best thing about that hill was that on the other side was my love marching up the hill.  Now I knew for sure, he is was going to finish this race.  My heart was so happy.  I wanted to turn around and run with him but my body was being beckoned by the finish line. 
As I rounded past the finial aid station I thought of the woman from last year who put her arm around me.  I didn’t need her this time, I could do this.  This year instead my moment came a little later.  I was walking, not willingly, and this little boy asked his mother, “Can I cheer for people who aren’t daddy?”  The mother looked up from her phone (tracking her husband) and looked at him saying, “Sure.”  The little boy jumped to his feet, arms in the air, and started yelling.  I don’t even know what he was yelling.  His excitement pushed my feet to speed up.  I turned the final curve and could see the lights of the finish line.
Here we go.  I paced out to not pass the guy in front of me--- although I wanted to rush past him, but I got in trouble last year.  I pushed to the finish line, hearing “PEA RIDGE” and yells.  It was done.  17 minutes faster than last year it was done!    
One of the things I love best is the volunteers at the finish line.  It just so happened my volunteer was also an athlete on that day.  He was very kind and made me laugh.  I told him what I would tell others, “My husband is about to finish his first Ironman.” 
I took my picture and hugged my family and friends, my day was done but my heart was still running (learn more by reading my previous blog).
After Patrick finished his race we headed out to showers and Waffle House.  It seems strange to end the day in such a way but it was our way, and this whole journey we have done it our way.
WE ARE IRONMEN!!!
 FOOT NOTE: I am buying my photos too!!!  


Teresa and I are continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 

We've been blogging for a while now. If you enjoyed this one, you may enjoy others. Look though the Blog Archive on the right, for more of our experiences and random thoughts. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our adventures.  

Please feel free to share our blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment