Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How we got here?

I decided to start a blog to talk about our (my) journey to Ironman Chattanooga (IMCHOO).  The event will be 28 September 2014, a little over 7 months away at this point. 
I think it is a good time, as we face one of the most challenging endurance races out there, to explain how we got here. 
First, it is all Patrick's fault.  Yep, you thought I started this, you are WRONG!!!  In March of 2008, Patrick completed his first 5K, the McGuires Run.
I wasn't there due to school (in fact I would miss the first 2 races of this journey due to school). After he ran McGuires, Patrick decided to set out a goal to do 1 5K a month for a year. We were not in shape at all, I struggled to run up the hill next to the house, a mile should have been 100 miles, but this was our goal.
So we began training---  Actually, we began talking about training.  The weeks and days leading up to the 5K were blissful, no pain, no worries, no dehydration.  Then race morning would come and we would discuss on the ride to the race about how we should really start training.  This went on with some sporadic training for about 6 months.  Then the strangest thing started to happen we started to enjoy running. I can't tell you when it happened, just one day it wasn't dreadful, it wasn't exhausting, and it wasn't a fight. Now don't get me wrong I still struggle with motivation and the mental battle, but it is different now.
We obtained our goal- 1 year, 1 5K a month.  Then... we just kept running. We decided to go for another year but this time we would train.  No really train, like get up and run for more than one day in the month. Thus began training.  With training came the idea that we could go further. 
What better race for distance than the Double Bridge?  We went from a 3.1 mile run to a 9.3 mile run. Then we went back and picked up a 6.2 mile run (order means nothing to us).   Now we were runners.  We weren't fast but we could endure. We saw noticeable changes in our eating habits and our bodies--- YAY PAY OFF!!!
After 2 years of running, I decided we should explore more avenues of exercise.  Okay, I got bored. In May of 2010, I decided to do the Aquathon.  This is a 5K run followed by a 5K swim (it would be the last year of this race). 
This got me hooked on the idea of Triathlon (how hard could it be to add one more sport).

(The faces of triathlon)

In October 2010, Patrick and I suited up for SRI TRI.  For me that was all it took. Patrick thinks in that moment I was Ironman bound (or determined).  I would not come to this realization for several more races. Triathlon was a new frontier.  Training was split between three disciplines, even though in eh beginning we mostly ran since we did more running races.  For me triathlon was a welcomed change.  Being back in the water for me was like the scene at the end of Free Willy, when willy jumps the jetty to freedom in the open water.  I was at home, at peace, and hurting less.  The biking portion however was a learning curve. We bought reasonable bikes.  We called them "trial" bikes.  If we did more than one triathlon and thought it was a good idea then we may upgrade. There were clips and shoes, helmets and gloves, special shorts and tops- for our first event we had shoes, clipless pedals, and helmets- and we were BAD ASS!!!!
As the years went moving forward we got better equipment in all disciplines. We actually bought running shoes that fit, bikes that were fitted, and gear that would work in training and on the course (including knee braces and shoe inserts).  It was a slow process, getting a piece here and there, waiting out paychecks, and hoping for sales. 
After 6 years on this journey that was suppose to only last a year, we have completed countless 5Ks, numerous 10Ks, a good many half marathons, a few marathons, double digits sprint triathlons, some Olympic tris, 2 Half Ironman events, and are now packing the year with more events leading up to the Full Ironman event.
You may ask, "what are you thinking?"  I think it comes down to thinking "why not?"  and to that we had no good answer. That's how we got here and it is all Patrick's fault.
(After Goofy, it only got goofier.)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment