Friday, July 4, 2014

Celebrate Freedom 5K- RACE RECAP

It was a cool morning this July 4th- in fact we saw temps of 69 and 70 degrees on our way out to the race!  There was a light breeze and a race temp of about 75 degrees.  Needless to say it was the best July running weather we have seen. 
This race is put on by Matt Dobson, who also organizes the Williams Lake Run. Again he puts on a fun and family focused race.  The race runs out in Jay- the country.  It goes past farmland, a few homes, and the base ball field- a great look at the rural area close to home. 
The race is also full of great people.  Being a smaller race it is normally people we know from other races or clubs, but some new people too.
During the race I got to see a number of the kids running.  One kid had great run moves- the "Turbo" which was when he put his arms straight back, his head down, and then lurch forward; the "Swim" which was when he was swimming the breast stroke through the air; the "Zig Zag Zoom" which was a move only used a few times but effective in clearing the path for his turns.  He was great!  He was also fast so I may begin using some of these moves.
It was a good run for both Patrick and I.  Patrick broke 30 minutes- coming in around 28 minutes.  I was right at 30 minutes.  I wish I would have pushed just slightly faster at the end.  I did begin my finial push about a half mile out which is further back then I normally start and I felt strong starting at this point.
Patrick took second in his age group.
I took third in my age group.   

We also had a number of our racing friends from PRRC come out.  It was a big showing for the awards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment