Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Visualtization

Visualization is nothing new and not a new concept utilized in my life.  
What is new is what I am visualizing.  I have taken to playing out IMCHOO in my head.  I have seen photos and short videos, enough that I can put together some course views.  I also mix in the views from August's 70.3 which has comparable terrain for the the water and bike.  


I use visualization in training and in racing right now.  If I am going out for a four mile run, I focus on reminding myself this is how good my legs will feel on race day when I only have four miles left.  They will feel fresh and strong and powerful.  Now I know this may not be reality come race day but my mind will be able to think past the discomfort and pain and I will remember the days of training where four miles was manageable, doable, and good.  By having this visualized memory to go back to staying focused and driven will be easier.  I even imagine the finish line at the end of every run.  Sure I don't know the details but I know in my soul what it looks like.  I see the finish line draped over other race finish lines, I can see it out at the beach, or even at my own mailbox.  Visualizing that moment helps me to know it will be accomplished because for 6 months I have run under that finish line.  
I do the same thing on training rides- riding 10 miles or 100 miles like it is race day ending in T2.  I imagine my legs feeling good; I check in with my back and knees, wiling them to feel stable.  As I arrive back home or to the car I process what the next steps in T2 will be- drop off the bike, shoes off, bike shorts off, braces on, socks on, shoes on, visor, glasses, water, sunscreen- LET'S GO!!  
In swimming, even in the pool or in the Gulf, I visualize the finial strokes being those same finial strokes bringing me to the river's shore and onto my legs to push into T1.  Again after the swim I run through all the tasks and needs in T1- helmet, glasses, biking shorts, socks, shoes, sunscreen, BIKE- LET'S GO! 
People around me may look at me crazy as I mentally go through the process of transition starting head to tow in T1 and toe to waist to toe to head in T2; each step is a slight movement which may look like I am about to break in to dance pool side! 

You may be wondering now what does visualizing this really get you, since it isn't race day?  
For me I get confidence, reassurance, power over my body through my mind, joy, faith, belief that overcoming 104.6 miles is not impossible.  In the end I get to believe in me. 
With visualization and written montras I feel I have prepared myself to think positively not only about IMCHOO but about the everyday races we face in life.  If I can make sense out of beating up my body for 16 hours then I can make sense out of sitting through an hour meeting or be strong enough to process making decisions for my team. 
I would encourage you to visualize your accomplishments- it all starts with a thought.  Even a 5K starts with "I can do this."     

No comments:

Post a Comment