Friday, July 25, 2014

Portofino Sunset Tri #5- RACE RECAP from the sideline

I took this race as a volunteer opportunity; this was my first time volunteering for a tri.  For me this volunteer experience was even harder than for the half marathon.  
I was assigned to "Bike Turn 2".  This meant I was about 2 to 3 miles out from the transition site at Park East. 
We had 2 people manning this area.  The only problem with 2 people manning tis area is there is actually three directions for cars to approach the intersection- the main road in both directions and the parking lot.  With 2 people we set up one person ahead of the parking lot turn, Mark, and then myself at the turn point which was where the parking lot opened to the road.  The problem was in order for me to not be in the way of the cyclist I was out in the middle of the road stopping traffic on the main road, meaning those leaving the beach parking were able to get in the way of the bike turn around and cause some minor problems.  A few cyclist were not able to get around the cone on the turn and had to take a slightly shorter turn.  A few other cyclist learned about riding in loose sand.  We only had one person fall slightly but she was a trooper and was quickly back up and out riding with a smile. 

The final small issue we had was the "caboose" rider who was suppose to be following the last cyclist was actually 2 cyclist ahead.  This lead to us packing up turn 2 before time.  It ended well as upon us returning to base camp, we noticed the 2 cyclist and the caboose rider sped to get them turned around at the right point.  I stayed road side two blocks up to make sure everyone made it back.  No worries we caught them all before they made it to Navarre (about 20 miles down the road).  
Logistical matters aside I think Mark and I did an AWESOME job keeping cyclist safe on this portion of the road and directing the turn around!  YAY for Mark and I!!!!  We are some car stopping fools!!!!  And to the drivers out there- you were GREAT, no mean words, in fact a few apologies for being in the way (only a few times did I worry if you were going to stop before hitting me).  I will call one the one person in the blue sedan for speeding off after stopping, but I was just glad he was not headed towards the cyclist.
Patrick vs. Kid
Patrick's Tire!
Now let me talk about the racers.  I love them.  Most of them were all smiles (until they realized the turn around put them into a slight head wind).  Often times I feel like I am the only person in the race thanking the volunteers, I was glad to see with this group that about 75% said thank you as they made the turn!  The cyclist were all polite even with a sharp turn looming and a few motorist in the way.  I heard no complaints are arguing about who went around the cone and who passed in front- yes, this could have been major.  It was nice to see friends out there, although I missed Patrick passing.  I was watching the red Mustang and a few riders missing the turn in the parking lot.  Safety first my love. 

I was able to get back to the finish line before Patrick crossed.  It is always exciting to see your love cross the finish line.  He did AMAZING, because he is AMAZING!!!! 
While I have enjoyed my volunteering times and I encourage all racers to take a day to be on that side of the race- it is difficult to not race. 
"Ha, Ha! Teresa got yelled at."
I was called out for being in transition- no volunteers allowed, only racers.  I was sent out to the far reaches unable to see the start or touch the water.  It was rough waiting, wondering, pacing till the first sight of a cyclist.  Then the nervousness of "am I doing this right", "is this the turn spot", "please let these cars stop".  And remembering to smile and cheer them one to the finish- it is hard work out there.  I did very much enjoy this opportunity and I would do it again in a heartbeat- but I am going to race a few over the next few months :)  
In fact Patrick has challenged me to the 14 August race!!!!  BRING IT!!!!  I love him.
PEA RIDGE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment