Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Gulf coast Half Marathon Mandaville- Together Across the Line

Club Member Motivation!
On the cool morning we had not planned to run together, in fact we both just planned to get this race done how ever we could.  What happened at the shortly after the start changed things for me.  Let me back up just a little.  I could tell Patrick was nervous; it wasn't about the race per say, but it was about his faith in himself.  Could he do this the way he wanted to do it?  I could see the question in his body language, in his slightly longer gaze into the distance, in his remark to me to "have a good race."  His mind was not on the first mile, it was lost in miles three and five, six and eleven; his mind was already focused on how those miles would feel to him.  The horn signaled our start and we were off.  Together we crossed the start line.  Patrick passed me before we made it out of the shoot.  I stayed a few feet back steady and watching him.  When the crowd was able to open out on to the path I was able to catch up to him.
He smiled at my arrival, then encouraged me to run on ahead.  But I was happy here at this pace.  I was happy here with him. 
The day was starting to warm up as we jockeyed back and forth with another couple from PRRC.  The four of us ran at similar pace for about 5 miles.  We had an opportunity to hear their story of running together.  Watching them slow for each other, look for each other, and push each other, made me realize that here side by side with Patrick was where I truly wanted to be for this run.
Each mile after the first three miles was the furthest we had run straight in months.  Together we pushed onward mile by mile.  We laughed about things in life, life which seemed far away in this moment.

I had to stop at the porta potty, once again being left back by Patrick.  But in all honesty he warned me he was going to continue and I agreed with his continuation.  However, I jokingly said to him that he must have picked up his pace in my time away since I had to sprint to catch him.  He laughed claiming he did not intend on speeding away.      
As we hit the final trail portion the day began to feel long.  I was now urging my legs to move forward, step by step.  In the moment when I felt as though I was done for, Patrick looked at me and said, "Let's just keep going."  It sounded reasonable so I just kept going.  We made the final turn back to the park, now Patrick looked at me to inform me it was less than a mile till the finish line.  Less than a mile to continue to have run the full distance of the half marathon.

We approached the finish line, together.  With one other run club member in front of us we grabbed hands and gave words of encouragement to our club member, telling her to push on and to give it all she had in that moment.

Once again crossing the line hand in hand was a great moment for us.  It was the furthest we had run in almost five months.  Run meaning no walking stops.  It was a good come back event since training and racing had not been going well as of late.  Today those things in our heads holding us back faded a little and together we pushed to the finish line. And we pushed with grace (Patrick may have forced this grace on me, but I still did it.)


Lastly, on this day we once again were surrounded by a great group of runners.  It does not matter you pace, your style, or your clothing, here amongst the Pea Ridge runners we feel welcomed and supported. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment