Sunday, October 12, 2014

Together Across the Line- Bridge 2 Bridge 5K

In a last minute decision Patrick and I signed up for the Bridge 2 Bridge 5K Run.  This run goes over the 3 miles bridge, a local connection between cities.  We have run the bridge before as a part of the 15K run, Double Bridge, which continues onto the beach.  We have swam the bridge several time in the, 3 Mile Bridge Swim Events.  However, even with all of this access to the bridge this was a different event, as we would only run the bridge, no mile before, no miles after, and no water.
Patrick and I paced together out of the start line, for all of a sixth of a mile.  Then he was off to a good, solid stride.  He had some problems maintaining due to some leg pain which has been bothering him for this weekend's races.  At about the mile point I caught him.  I was feeling okay, I had stopped to briefly stretch my calves at about a half mile.
As I approached him I could tell from his body language he was not having a good run.  He was hurting physically and mentally.  so I did what any good spouse would do... I ran with him, singing loudly for all to hear.  I am sure he wished I had just left him, as now his ears were bleeding, but with the song of "Walking on Sunshine" starting and the sun rays bursting form behind the few clouds, we began to run again.  We pushed the hill and floated down the other side. 
For me it wasn't about a good or bad run, it was about that moment with the love of my life.  "We Race Together" was started as a means to talk about racing together in the sense of training together, being at the same races together, living with each other, but today it was about a moment we had lost, it was about racing the race together. 
Today was about Patrick asking if we should hold hands across the finish line (which we did).  Today was about being called out as a favorite couple in racing.  Today was about being there at that finish line together in the same moment.  Today was about us and all we have gone through to be who we are not as athletes but as US!
I Love Him!!!



     

No comments:

Post a Comment