Friday, September 18, 2015

Taper, they say. It will be fun, they say.

Make new friends
"They" are wrong.  
Spend time with family
Tapering is an interesting part of training and a part I can honestly say I am not good at.  It causes me to be moody; it causes my body to ache; it makes me want more than anything want to run further, bike faster, and swim harder, right then and there.  
The taper time situation get more interesting when you have two athletes, training for the same race, under one roof.  This tapering moodiness does not always make for the best of days.  Let's be honest, we get frustrated with each other; and want to scream, "GO RUN, A$#&*@#".  But this negative mood doesn't help our legs feel stronger nor does it keep our mind right, so what do we do? 
Have Fun
My mantra in racing repeats in my head:  
Be Positive.  Stay Strong.  Press On. 

I try to apply these principles during these times of tapering.  I force myself to focus on the positive.  Focus on healing my body and resting.  The positive thoughts about training and previous races.  I work on my inner will, strengthening the core of who I am.  Letting my mind build my body stronger.  Then I do what I do everyday during training times-- PRESS ON.  I go to work and home, to gatherings and events.  I do all the things I need to do.  
Doing these things in the tapering times aids me in being able to do them more effectively on race day.   
It takes a lot of effort to focus on your body and mind during this time in a different way than what you have been focusing for the last few months.  Now you have to have trust in your training, trust in yourself, and trust that the finish line waits with open arms.      


I am continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 

I've been blogging for a while now. If you enjoyed this one, you may enjoy others. Look though the Blog Archive on the right, for more of our experiences and random thoughts. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our adventures.  

Please feel free to share our blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment