Friday, September 11, 2015

Those Pesky Wedding Rings :)



On most days I am good at remembering my wedding ring.  It is simply a way of life- out of the shower, brush hair, dress, put on ring, out the door.  However, I am also easily distracted and once my morning routine is changed I forget the "simple ways of life." Forgetting your wedding band as you head out to the office is a simple "fix"- you simply move forward with your day, when given a chance you mention it to your spouse in passing, but it is no big deal.  If only I forgot my ring on my way to work.  Nope, that's not me; I forget my wedding ring as we are going on a cruise, or traveling on a business trip, or when heading to a race-cation.  And to add to my forgetful problem I don't remember that I forgot my wedding band until we are at a point unable to turn around and return to the house- turns out they won't hold a boat or a plane for me to go back home (again). 
"Oh, that ring. Well you see..."
I have been teased by others that this is a ploy to get a new ring on every trip- I promise it is not.  But I have gotten some good stories from it.  The first “major” forgetful event was when I left my ring as we headed out on our first cruise, a seven day cruise.  We made it to a friend’s house where we were going to carpool to the ship and I freaked out, realizing my ring was not on my finger.  I thought maybe it fell off in the car - NOPE, no such luck.  I remembered quickly where it was, safe and sound on the dresser back home, an hour’s drive from our current location. There was no turning back.  Now, what is great about this is that Patrick never forgets his wedding band (which by the way sits on the same ring holder as mine, just saying); he also never minds that I forget mine.  Remember not minding and not teasing are two different things- he is good at picking on me about my “convenient forgetfulness” with a smile. 
There I was with my husband, with his showing of undying love wrapped around his finger, ready to head on a seven day trip.  I tried not to stress about it but by the second day it was making me crazy, so I did what any normal person would do—I bought a temporary wedding band.  This band would become known as the Jamaican wedding band.  No, I didn’t spend thousands of dollars on this band, but we didn’t do that for my actual wedding band.  I found a nice little ring at a nice little shop.  For the rest of the trip Patrick pointed out my new purchase, but I was happy with my unnaked finger!
Now it would be great to say that I learned my lesson and from this point forward made a point o remember my ring- but you know that’s not what happened.  I may need to go to meetings about this but… “My name is Teresa and I have a Jamaican wedding band, a Memphis wedding band, and another one that I don’t even recall where it was purchased (maybe south Florida).  Also, I have had to make numerous u-turns and back tracks to my house to get my ring.”
Memphis. 
You might be saying to yourself, “What does it matter?  Your wedding band does not define you or your behaviors.”  You would be right it does not.  But it is a part of who I am and a reminder in trying moments of a man who loves me more than I will ever comprehend.  I need that reminder sometimes.  I like to feel a ring on my finger, wrapped around like he wraps his arms around me.  In fact I miss my ring during racing so much that I am looking to purchase silicone rings for racing.  What does my love say about this purchase, “Good.  Those are cost effective enough to purchase one for each of your bags so you won’t forget them.”  That’s right he will purchase enough of them to have them prepacked in every one of my bags--- looks like I am getting no more vacation wedding bands.      

I am continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 

I've been blogging for a while now. If you enjoyed this one, you may enjoy others. Look though the Blog Archive on the right, for more of our experiences and random thoughts. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our adventures.  

Please feel free to share our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment