Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day Moment

I want to share a powerful moment that I had today.  I went after work and sat at the Veterans Memorial Park. I watched children played and laugh as their parents looked at monuments. I watched joggers run by. I watched people pay there respects. For a long time though I watched this young woman sitting on a bench in front of a wreath. Even with her back to me it was clear she was crying. I am not typically the type to approach others but I felt compelled to approach her.
I approached her and stood beside her. I gestured to sit and she nodded. I sat beside her and simply said thank you. She looked at me surprised. I told her I did not know who she lost or how they were taken from her, but that her loved on mattered to me.  She looked at me and then looked away and began to tell me that she lost the love of her life.  He graduated boot camp only days before 09/11.  He had done 4 tours overseas and he job was to disable bombs.  Unfortunately a few weeks shy of him coming home he was killed.  She told me how they had planned to be moving upon his return and had found an apartment.  They were just starting their life together and he was "the love of her life".   
To the side of where we sat two children giggled and one ran his fingers over the names on the memorial wall.  She glanced at them.  I told her, "It isn't fair that he was taken from you and there is nothing I will say today to make your heart whole again.  But those children over there can laugh because of him.  They will not understand today who those names represent but one day they will and one day they will know and respect what has been given to them through the sacrifice of others like the man you loved."  I went on to tell her that because of her love, others, whose names she will never know, will be able to grow up to do amazing things for this world.  Those whose lives he protected will be inspired to protect the lives of others.  And because of him this world has been made a little better. 
She wiped tears from her eyes and said, "I just don't know."  I looked at her and said, "There is no doubt in my mind or heart that all those things are true.  And that her love who gave his life will forever affect the lives of others."  
We shared a few others words, which are for her and I, before I hugged her and thanked her once again.  Then I walked away, to the sound of children giggling.  
I tell you this because when we look to our flag waving on Veteran's Day, or Memorial Day, or the Fourth of July, we often forget that our flag flies on the wind from the wings of fallen soldiers, our flag flies on the breath of men and women in the field battle, and our flag flies because of the men and women who have planted it firmly in the ground.  And for all of that our thanks is the least we can give.
I will never be able to say thank you enough, not to the woman at the memorial, not to the service men and women that make up my family and friends, not to those who fought long before I knew what war was; I will never be able to say thank you enough but that does not mean I will won't try.  
Thank you today and every day, thank you for all you have done, all you do, and all you will do to ensure protection for all who may need protected. 
On the WWII memorial these words are written, "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."- Winston Churchill       

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us and the woman at the memorial.

    ReplyDelete