Friday, November 20, 2015

Stark-- The Tattoo

In 2013 we decided to complete an Ironman I decided it would be fun to complete an Ironman.  When this decision was made I also made another decision- I wanted to get a tattoo to express the journey.  I wasn't sure at the time what I wanted.  It was maybe three months into training I "knew" the idea of what I wanted- a sea turtle with the M-dot.
This is Carrie. She is Awesome.
Many of you have read the blog for some time now and know about the journey of Patrick and I both completing our Ironman journeys.  This will be a story of Stark.
For me getting a tattoo, something that will be on my body forever (because I don't by in to the notion shared amongst some that "it is no big deal, it can be removed"), required meaning and purpose.  Some will say, "Then why be branded with the M-dot?" This is as good a place as any to start with Stark's story.
Some will see the M-dot and simply pass, knowing I did an Ironman and I bought into the hype of getting branded.  But if they take time to ask they would find the M-dot holds more meaning than "just a race".  The M-dot was a journey-- one of pain, healing, heartbreak, and ultimately achievement.  The M-dot tells me that if I put a goal in my heart and in my mind I can achieve it, no matter the time it will take or the pain it will bring.
The M-dot is also a journey Patrick and I took together.  The creation and finalizing of Stark took time because the journey to us both completing an Ironman took time.  We were in this together, Stark could not have life if OUR journey was not complete.
The M-dot symbolizes the journey Patrick and I took together to overcome something that felt a lifetime away.  We did it through support and love for each other.  We did it through encouragement and faith for each other.  We did it through compassion and patience for each other.  That is what the M-dot symbolizes all of those virtues we held for each other during the two years of training and racing.  The M-dot is not a brand to me, it is an achievement that has made me a better person through the journey of achievement.
Stark is marked with the M-dot on the back of his shell, as a symbol of the journey, as we all carry with us symbols of our journeys.  Now, to explain why Stark is a sea turtle.  The sea turtle is my race animal (like a spirit animal but for racing).  Patrick and I were diving in Honduras when we came across our first sea turtle encounter during dives.  One of the turtles was nestled in some grasses, nearly camouflaged; he was content and peaceful just sitting in the grass.  This is how I feel in the water, content and peaceful.  The other swimmers thrash around me, waves catch me, but there in the water I am at peace.
The second sea turtle encounter was of one swimming along.  He swam with such ease, a single push of his front flippers he was transformed to a flying machine.  He moved with motions appearing effortless, he tilted from side to side to turn.  For a moment he even looked as if he closed his eyes and smiles as the water rushed by.  In the water this is how I feel.  There are others much faster than me, but I doubt there are many who enjoy it as much as me; that feeling of the water rushing past you, that glimpse of sky as you breath and duck back under, that feeling of life being everywhere around you.
While the sea turtle is spectacular in the water, he is a bit clumsy and clunky on land.  This too I relate to, especially in the early years of triathlon.  After I leave the water it takes a minute for me to remember how to use my legs, then as I mount my bike it takes time for me to switch from the feel of water to the feel of the air, then the run leaves little for my as far as ease, it is a struggle.  I feel like that sea turtle coming on shore, fighting through the sand to get to a safe place.
Lastly, the sea turtle and I have "the fight" in common.  When a sea turtle hatches he has to dig his way out of the sand then figure out where the water is; he then has to survive.  The fight is real for all of us in different arenas in our life. For me it is a very real fight in triathlon; having that inner will to press on when the world is trying to trick me into going the wrong direction.  This will to fight till the end, no matter the adversity ahead, is something that drives me in several parts of my life and drives me to be a better me each day.
Well that’s Stark, how he came to be.
The quick on how he got named: Thank the tattoo parlor manger.  As he showed me the art books for the different artist, he asked what I was looking to get.  I told him an Ironmn tattoo.  When I had (finally) chosen an artist, he smiled and said, “Let’s me go get her and you can talk about your Stark tattoo.” 
If you are not an Avengers/ Ironman fan you may need to have this piece of insight—The person who becomes Ironman is Tony Stark.      
 A special thank you to Carrie at Hula Moon who dealt with my crazy planning, questioning, nervous chatter, late night or early morning emails, and who helped me to laugh through the experience.  

I am are continuing to raise money for the Navy Seal Foundation.  For more information please read this: Supporting the Navy Seal Foundation- Frogman Swim 

We've been blogging for a while now. If you enjoyed this one, you may enjoy others. Look though the Blog Archive on the right, for more of our experiences and random thoughts. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of our adventures.  

Please feel free to share our blog.

1 comment:

  1. That Ironman/Stark thing cracks me up! Love your tattoo. Here's to many more amazing feats no matter what the water's like!

    ReplyDelete