Monday, August 4, 2014

Ladies Sunset Tri- RACE RECAP

After a long Thursday workday it was time to race- to be correct it was time for the LADIES to race!!!!
This ladies only tri was the first time I have participated in a women's only race.   First let me say, "Way to go LADIES!"  It was impressive to have 60 women out there showing what they got.  That said now let's talk details.  Ladies, we need to be a little nicer.  Calling out passes and encouraging each other on the course goes a long way.  If we don't do it when we are the only ones out there together then how will we learn to do it when we are in a mixed crowd where we will be the few amongst the many.  While on the course peer support may have been limited, the finish line was a different place.  The women competitors and others gathered to cheer each lady through the finish line.  To hear everyone cheering is great, it helps to give that final push which even on a super sprint is much needed. 

This course again is short and fast.  Our swim was made slightly longer due to a boat parked in the final home line.  The buoy was moved just a little out for us to stay clear of the boat.  Normally I don't do a warm up swim but this day I decided to go half way out to the buoy then just breast stroke back just to help relax.  The water was lovely, slightly cool and clear.  I came out of the water second.  The woman in front of me was wicked fast- I remember seeing her splash and then spotting up to see her exiting the water.  I was just behind her.  I was able to be second out of T1 as well, then came the bike.  This day the bike was made a little more difficult with a west heading wind- meaning a push into the wind then some good tail wind then back into the head wind. 
Before I exited on to the main road I was passed by the girl who would hold second for the duration of the race.  A short time later I was passed by one of the few racing friendly ladies, calling her shot to pass and then as passing saying "good job" and "keep it up" all with a smile and all in about 3 seconds as she passed.  I stayed in the early group on the bike.  More importantly I felt good on the bike.
  I was able to build up good speed with the tail wind and felt strong pushing against the head wind.  After finishing the bike back in T2 I struggled once again with my braces.  I am not sure what is going on with my braces but I am still trying to get the adjustment in T2 made easier.  This was the first time in a while I have been able to make the run without stopping.  I say without stopping but I did have a moment of about five walking steps to make a final adjustment to my brace.  After this I was able to run out the rest of the 2 mile run course.
Now, let's talk quickly about the finish.  Yes, I have a problem at the finish line.  I have no problems being passed at any time in a race except at the finish line.  So I tend to push it out.  I found out I had another girl pushing hard behind me in the last 150 yards of the run.  As I neared the finish line the cheers were for both of us calling out our names, yelling for one or the other to push.  I kicked it in- if you do pass me you will have to earn it.  She came close and if we had 20 more feet she may have passed but on that day I had her and I took the finish line a second ahead of her.  Both of us breathing hard, turned for a high five, knowing the other had pushed and by doing so we had pushed each other.
So FAST, we were a blur.

I was able to finish 18th today.  I was 2 minutes and 20 seconds faster than my last time on this course.  Today was a good day.
An added bonus was having Patrick out there to cheer me on.  He was placed at bike turn 2.  Being at this half way course point was good for me, just having the added support.  What I didn't expect was the surprised look on his face when I showed up!!  LOL!!  When one of the other guys said my name and good job as I made the turn he suddenly looked up and a slight shake of his head, after some stumbling mumbles he formed words of congrats and "go get um".  He makes me laugh.  He admitted he was surprised to see so close to the first few ladies, especially given some wind conditions having been faced already.  The great thing about having him out there to volunteer is he was able to see me at the finish line.  It makes me happy to see my husband so proud of my accomplishment- it made my heart and soul so happy!
Patrick also challenged me to the next Sunset Tri.  Oh, I accepted!!!  It is on!!!           

No comments:

Post a Comment