Sunday, September 21, 2014

7 Days Out from IMCHOO- MOT Event

Today marks 7 days from Ironman Chattanooga.
Today also marks the end of our Mere Mortals summer tri training.  Every year this moment is marked by the Member's Only Triathlon- it is closed to the public but those of us who have been training together for the last few months have an opportunity to race, cheer, and hang out together.
For Patrick and I this is the last race before IMCHOO.  The last time we will move through transitions.  The last time we will rack our bikes.  The last time we will mount our bikes and dismount our bikes on a line in on the asphalt.  The last time we will rinse our feet, slide on sock and shoes.  This was it the last race before Ironman.


SWIM
This race morning was met with winds, which for a Gulf swim means waves!  The waves were breaking in sets of three, out as far as 50 yards, breaking 3-4 feet high.  In addition to this challenge there was a current forcing us down the course and slightly out to sea.  While going with the current is GREAT, the problem is when swimming to and from the shore, you are still being pushed and having to redirect back on line with the buoy or land point.
On my way out the the first buoy I worked hard to dolphin kick since the waves were making it shallow in spots, a standing push was the easiest way to fight the current from pushing you back to shore.  Once able to swim steady, I started my three stroke breathing, still riding the waves but not being pulled as badly.
Almost to the first buoy I had a much needed magical moment.  A dolphin swam under me and the woman next to me.  He came from the right hand side and was pushing against the current with ease.  As he passed under me he leaned to his right raising his fin.  It was a brief moment but made me feel like a giddy kid- I wanted so badly to grab the woman next to me and confirm she had seen it too!!  I swam on.  Feeling safe and secure.  As we went along there was additional sea life.  Mostly fish but also some rays hunkered to the bottom.     
There were waves.
After the dolphin spotting I made my turn around the first buoy.  It took a few times to spot the next buoy this was caused by a few factors.  (1) The waves were causing a block in siting.  I had to push myself up out of the water to catch the first glimpse.  Once spotted I was on track and able to see it with each spotting (as long as I timed the waves).
(2) The men's grouping seemed once again to be tracking off course.  I saw a sea on bobbing swim caps, the problems was they were not really in front of me and did not appear to be between me and the buoy.  I spotted up the buoy twice before making my line, making sure I was not missing it if the middle buoy was out a little further in the line.  I was not but it would seem the leader to the middle of the men's pack was going to get a long swim in today.  Patrick confirmed that the men went for a wide turn of the third buoy.
After making the last turn to shore it was now about safely body surfing back in.  While I would not recommend body surfing 7 days out from IMCHOO, there was little choice on this day once I was out there.  The waves pushed me slightly off course, at which point I figured getting to shore was the best option.
Once on shore it is a long haul up the beach to solid ground and then over and into transition.  I hit the shore as the second female.  I wanted to stay in this position and there was an other woman coming up fast.  I beat her up the sand.  Patrick was there about to enter transition.  I yelled to alert him to me.  He high fived and we shared, "good job".  In this moment she got slightly in front of me.  Yes, I kicked it up and pushed to get back in front.
I was officially the second woman out of the water and into transition.  (Not to worry the woman I passed would speed past me shortly, because she was wicked fast!!!!)

BIKE
Patrick on the bike.
Head wind, lots of head wind.  Serious head wind.  I dropped my gearing and spun.  Legs not thrilled but they were working hard into the wind.  As I glanced down my bike computer started off strong with 16 mph, at times it dropped to 12 mph.  I tried to ignore it, just spin.  Smile and spin.  Once we were outside of the ally of homes and condos the wind was straight in our faces.  Spin, spin, spin.  The day was beautiful.  Even more beautiful was the turn around point.  We turned in an unoccupied parking lot, right turn, crossing wind, left turn, strongest head wind, left turn, cross wind, left turn, TAIL WIND.  Oh the glory of a tail wind.
Again a glance of two down at my bike computer, 19 mph, 20 mph, maxing out at 21.8 mph (I am sure for only a short period of time).  My end pace was 16 mph.
In order to return to the transition area we had to obey all traffic rules (since it was an open course), meaning going up to a light and waiting.  There were about 8 of us by the time the light changed.  We all fell to our order of approach as we returned to the transition area.  At the light a few brakes squealed behind us as we started to move, I was too chicken to look back.  If the cyclist could not stop I guess I didn't want to know they were about to hit me.  There was no accident so I guess they stopped.

RUN
Transitioning to the run is always a rough go for me.  Braces on, shoes on.  Helmet off- I have forgotten more than once.  Visor and race belt, here we go.
I am still getting use to my new brace.  Although it is the same as my previous brace it is still tighter and the Velcro is crazy strong.  I had to make a few adjustments before getting out of the parking lot.
Angry Runner!!!
I pressed on even though my legs are still not happy to run.  They screamed, I screamed louder.  My pace was slow.  In the start I was walking more than running.  My saving grace was a construction site porta potty (I am not ashamed).  After trying to stay hydrated on the bike, I was going to pay for it on the run.  My bladder screaming louder than my will.  I am good at run course porta potties, watching them to make sure they will not be occupied upon my arrival, trying to beat those behind me just to make it in first.  Look there is no mercy when it comes to having to pee.
A quick stop and back out to the course.  Feeling mucho better I was off again.  Not fast but going forward.  Run, run, run, and walk.  Water station.  Loop.  Back to the water station.  And let me say the water was perfectly cold at the water stop and handed out with smiles.
Upon heading back I was behind a woman who stopped to walk at the same time as me.  Then suddenly she yelled- "I am doing this, here I go.'  And she took off.  I took off behind her, while I followed in her trail for a good while I stopped to break before her.  I picked up another runner.  She and I went back and forth cheering and encouraging each other to the finish.  I don't know when she dropped back but as I turned into the parking lot I opened my stride and pushed to the end not knowing if my running buddy had a final push stronger than mine.  Again there are only 2 places I don't like to be passed- in the water and in the finish shoot.    

I could never have asked for a better friend to travel along this path with me.


Event done.  No blood.  Only took in limited salt water.  Biking in the wind simulated hills.  Running was... well, it was running.  Short race done now ready to have some Ironman fun!!!! 





   

No comments:

Post a Comment