Monday, September 8, 2014

Injury - Recovery - Injury - Mental Hunger Games.

We match now- August 2014.
Even though we've been doing triathlon for a while, we haven't really figured out "everything." I think my biggest problem revolves around adequate/appropriate recovery. We never really know the appropriate recipe for RECOVERY or how to deal with INJURY and how important is TAPER.







To be honest, I don't know how we've gone this long without these deficiencies biting us in the ass. I say "us." I mean "me." I don't know how long I've gone this long with inadequate recovery or an injury. Plus I'm a huge klutz so that doesn't help. It's caught up with me and we are 20 days out from our big event, IMCHOO.


The day to get it done, September 28.


It's been a long year, and we've packed it with runs, swims, bike trips, training, travel, and fun.

Marathon in Live Oak, FL - March 2014
We've hit each distance and accepted each challenge with enthusiasm. I've had some bumps along the way. My motivation was zapped this summer. I've had problems with shoes and other equipment. I've worked through adjustments on a triathlon bike. Things started to smooth out in August. Long bikes were going well; long swims were going great; long runs were going.


My foot is on strike - August 2014.
INJURY: Since early August, I've been dealing with a Neuroma between my 2nd and 3rd toes on my right foot. This pinched nerve has effected my gate, my foot strike, my speed, and my confidence. I'm pushing through but the RECOVERY is a fine balance. Do I skip a race? Do I skip some training? Do I focus on another triathlon discipline? Will I loose the speed/endurance gains I've developed in training? Will I be able to achieve the final goal? Oddly, my answer to most of these questions is "YES!" But it is hard. It's mentally exhausting on top of the physical exhaustion. The foot has gotten progressively better. I've figured out what I can do to minimize discomfort. Things were looking up.

A great bicycle ride until I fell.
At least I look fast, after the bicycle
accident and with a bum foot.
INJURY: I had a bicycle accident during a race, roughly one month out from IMCHOO. I lost traction going around a sharp turn and slid a little on the pavement. My left side hit pretty hard and knocked the wind out of me. I got some minor scratches. I was able to get back up and finish the race. The scratches healed quickly. I may or may not have a cracked rib. Ouch. So I'm in the same boat, even closer to the race. Do I skip an upcoming race? Do I skip some training? Do I focus on another triathlon discipline? Will I loose the speed/endurance gains I've developed in training? Will I be able to achieve the final goal? Should I just taper until Sept. 28?



I've had a good week worth of rest and recovery. The foot seems really good. The side hurts.

Animals and kids love me. I growl at both.



I remember when chaffing and bloody nipples were my biggest concern. Those were the days.


I'm excited and I'm scared. I'm confident I can push through, but damn, I haven't been this nervous since my first Triathlon.

Chattanooga, we'll meet in 20 days.


Included because I'm a huge nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment