Sunday, September 14, 2014

Beach Blast- RACE RECAP

This tri had added complications.  Given the factor that we have been training for the past year we are starting to have some moodiness.  This is said to often happen when tampering (or taking an exercise break). Given this added moodiness we were a little on edge with each other to start this adventure.  Adding to this factor, this is also a race course we have raced previously and Patrick HATES it!!!  He had sort of forgotten this in the 2 years since we did the race.  It isn't that it is a bad course, it is that the time of year either April or September that versions of this race are run it is hot- full on Florida HOT!
Let's talk about the race.
This race has many options a Sprint Triathlon or Duathlon, or Olympic Triathlon or Duathlon.  We selected the Olympic Tri (0.7 mile Swim, 25 mile Bike, and 6.2 mile Run)! 

SWIM
The swim was broken in to 3 waves.  First the disabled athletes, for our race this was one guy.  He is blind and was assisted by a visually able athlete.  Second the men's wave.  Third the women's wave.  This would mean for me that I would be in the last group to enter the water yet again. 
When we entered the water there were a number of women fighting to get out ahead.  Normally I would be one of those women but these were too aggressive even for me.  So I stuck to the inside and passed these women on the way out to the first buoy.  One thing to really make me hate you is to cut buoys on the swim course, one woman who had been squawking while we were on the sand did such a thing.  She went to the inside of the buoy, I guess instead of dropping behind me.  What else was I to do but leave her quickly behind?  So I did.  In the first straight away I started to catch some of the men's group, by the second turn i was in the thick of the boy's group.  We all were headed for two buoys that we were to go between before heading back out to loop again.  The sun was bright and in our eyes, making matters worse the round yellow buoys blended into the yellow swim caps.  I made my first turn feeling good, except for being in the middle of the directionally challenged (more on that in a minute).  On the second time in the straight away I had a guy actually grab my ankle, not just brush but grabbed.  And then he pulled like pulling me backwards, WHAT THE HELL DUDE???  One there is no need for that, try to swim over top of me, elbow me, brush against me, but don't be a jerk and pull me back just because you and being passed by a girl.  With a swift kick I left him behind too.  Final turn and headed towards shore, I could see the Sprint athletes grouping up, they were going out 24 minutes after us so they were beginning to be at the ready.  Upon coming out of the water this race has quiet the jaunt up to T1.  Up the beach, onto a boardwalk, over a road, then a ditch, a few steps, more boardwalk, more steps, across a field (with rocks under the rugs), across the mat and the swim in now in the books!
I was ranked 14th out of the entire race, I was the 5th female out of the water, and 1st in my age group. Even better I felt good.   Patrick was middle of the race pace coming out of the water, this is an improvement for him.  I was so proud to see how strong he has become in the swim.    
Now let's chat about the directionally challenged men's group.  In the beginning it seemed they were on track, all pointing the right direction to the first buoy.  Once the large portion of the group went around the first buoy they seemed to break into pieces, some looked almost headed back to shore others looked headed out to sea.  Then the horn went off for the women to start.  You would think this ends being able to see directional shifting of the men, but actually what happened is I found myself in the middle of them.  I know I was headed for the buoy, I know this because each time I looked up I was in line.  What I could not figure out was where the guys were headed.  Some were zigzagging in front of me, left, right, left.  Maybe they were trying to distract me from my destination, ploys to mess with me.  When I reached the turn around buoys it was a traffic jam.  It should have been easy, through the buoys turn to the left back out to the first buoy just like the first time.  This was not the case some where swimming towards the beach at the turn around point, some turned but went far to the right, some turned as if headed back the way they came.  I knew one thing, I wanted away for all of them.  I found a happy place between the front and the middle of their pack.  It was easier here until the leg pull.  Oh boys.

BIKE
My T1 was fairly easy going.  Washed my feet, socks, shorts, shoes, washed face, sunglasses, helmet, out! 
The first portion of the bike is on Highway 98 and with recent rains there were a few puddles and sand.  This was not so fun, since avoiding these areas was difficult given the limited road access. 
After making the turn north it was a straight 12 mile shot out.  This portion of the race is part of the reason Patrick is not a fan of this race.  he says it is a boring ride.  I like it though.  There are pine trees and more pine trees to look at, but more than that the part I like is the smell out there.  The moist pine, the dirt, the fresh air.  It makes me happy.  Now one part that makes me less happy is the road.  If you ride too close to the right hand side it gets bumping- like bounce you off your bike bumpy.  This means you have to ride to the left leaving less room for passing in the lane.  This need to shift out in the lane is okay if other riders would call their shot to alert when passing.  Since they don't make this call there ends up being a few close calls, even when I glanced backwards to make sure I was clear. 
On the route there is one major hill (well, 2 if you count it when coming back too)- well, it is actually a bridge, a slow climbing bridge.  The good thing about bridges is once you reach the top there is no place to go but down!!!  
I felt good on the ride averaging at 17.1mph, a good ride for me.  It did put me towards the back of the race pack, but I was good knowing I had pushed hard.  One of the things you learn as a triathlete who is good in the swim, is that you spend a good part of the next two portions of the race getting passed by those who are not so good in the swim.  You learn to get use to it- keeping in mind that every person who passes you, you passed first!   

RUN
My T2 was alright.  I struggled getting my new knee brace on.  It was tight and difficult to get on just right with the knee support (but I really like it).  I was able to get out of transition just shy of 2:30 minutes.
The run???  Well, my run sucked.  Thanks to a decent swim and bike, I was not the last to finish, although my run time was close to the longest.  I had a rough time in the heat and humidity.  The run course is on black top with shade seen for a total of about a 1/4 of a mile out of the whole 6.2 miles.  It was HOT to say the very least. 
The run was made more difficult for me just because my legs were considering leaving the union.  They are not happy right now- nights of leg cramps and runs where they feel like rubber bands about to snap. 

Even with perhaps my longest 10K (ever) I was about to finish 5th in my age group and about 5 minutes faster than the last time I was on this course. 
Patrick got the race done which was a good thing! 

Last "long" race before IMCHOO- in the books!!! 

We didn't take a prerace photo (that whole moodiness thing).   :(

No comments:

Post a Comment