Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Finding Inspiration

Patrick and I often hear people say we are an inspiration to them because of our exercise regiment.  What people fail to realize is how they inspire us.  So I wanted to share some inspiring moments we have gained from those around us.

The volunteers at races often inspire me to work harder.  I recently was struggling through the final five miles of Toughman Alabama when I approached a corner manned by a very enthusiastic man.  This man was doing more than flagging us into the right direction. 
About 30 yards away form him he began to preach.  Not about religion but about triathlon.  "While others sleep you run.  While others play you swim.  While others watch TV you bike.  Why because you are a triathlete! You have dedication, drive, and passion.  You don't know what it is to give up." 
This man could have just said "good job" which would still have lifted my spirits but instead he went the extra mile to inspire us to be better.  I can honestly say I picked up my pace for him.  Later I had an opportunity to thank him for being there and for giving me the inspiration I needed to push harder.  He just laughed and said thank you.


Those out there racing despite age inspire us.  In our local area we have several friends who are older and racing.  Some are just starting and others have been racing for years. 
There is a couple who I use to pace with, who I am deeply inspired by.  He is 83 and she is 80.  This couple often races together, side by side.  In the last few years I have noticed that he often carries water and tissues.  During the race he hands her the water, she takes a sip and hands it back.  He hands her a tissue, she takes it, wipes her nose and hands it back.  They smile, laugh, and dress alike.  When Patrick and I talk about this being a lifestyle for us, this couple always comes to mind.  At races we point them out to each other and we watch them, being inspired not only to race long into the future but to also be a better couple who cares for each other above all else.

Our friends taking their first step to a lifestyle change.  No matter if they choose to run, lift weights, walk, swim, or zumba, they inspire us.  We remember the first steps on our journey and we know what these friends have gone through to get to this point of making this change.  It is inspiring to see their faces when they talk about going to a run for the first time or their face when they cross the finish line.  We have had the joy of watching several of our friends approach the start line and cross the finish line.  One friend of ours did a triathlon a few years ago, she was nervous, mostly about the swim.  This was her second triathlon, she was unsure of the course due to some hills on the bike course and the big hill leaving transition on the bike and run.  We spent most of the pre race making jokes and laughing, what better way to get the nerves to fade away.  The most inspiring moment was to see her finish but it wasn't just her who inspired me that day, but also her father who stood there next to me.  He was cheering her on, he was talking about how proud he was of her, he could not take his eyes off of her as she approached and then crossed the finish line.  His pride in his daughter in that moment was breathtaking.  It has inspired me to be a better support to my family and friends, making sure they all know how proud I am in them.

While I am inspired greatly by those surrounding us in our lives, I am also inspired by the man who stands beside me everyday.  I know I have talked about it before but there is no greater inspiration for me than Patrick.  Patrick has in the past 6 years made a HUGH lifestyle change.  Beyond that he inspires me by how much he embraces others in our athletic community.  He is the first one with a kind word, the first to support, the first to offer encouragement, the first to offer gear and supplies.  Patrick has stopped to help fix flats mid race.  He never passes a person on the side of the road without asking if they need help.  Patrick also brings smiles to the course.  If you have the joy of running with him on race day you will get to hear him sing, you will get to hear him yell good job, and you will get to here him push you to the next step telling you that you can make it to the top of the hill, despite what you believe.  And amazingly you make it up that hill.  Patrick also inspires me through what he does for me.  He tells me this is possible.  he lets me vent and be crazy, then he hands me my running shoes.  Now he may drive me insane sometimes but he also drives me to be a better person.

There is inspiration all around us, it is just a matter of accepting it, processing it, and applying it.  Thank you to all those who inspire us; there are many more stories of inspiration keeping us going on this journey.

Thank you.       

No comments:

Post a Comment