Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Equipment and Motivation - Lessons Learned.

I've had a rough go of running lately. I've been unmotivated and felt slow. I have had this perception of where my fitness level is and I haven't be performing at that level. It is very disheartening sometimes. I was blaming it on the heat, but recently I realized it was a new pair of shoes I was trying (still an excuse). Every time I wore them I mentioned how they didn't really breathe and my feet were always hot. I was also having trouble staying at a consistent pace because my legs would never loosen up. I really wanted them to work so I kept trying. Yes, there is a break-in period, but if something isn't working allow yourself try something different. I need to learn this lesson a little better. 

I really wanted them to work out.
Teresa let me have it this morning after a rant about the pair of shoes and tech shirt I wore for a run last night:

"Remember when you would only run in cotton shirts and swore you would never wear a tech shirt? Now you only run in tech tank tops or singlets. Remember when you swore you would never wear a short swim suit. How did that work out for you? Remember when you swore you would never wear a visor. Do you ever run without one now? Remember when you refused to use anything besides a watch for tracking? Yeah. Exactly." Her point is pretty obvious. Things change. Preferences change. Equipment changes. Technology advances. I am apparently adamant about what I will never do, right before I do it, and usually like it.


Everything Teresa pointed out is completely correct. I'm stubborn. When I was running in cotton shirts, I thought I was doing the best I could. I tried a tech shirt, once and hated it. I think the turning point for me and cotton shirts was bloody nipples.
Not me. Also not a cotton shirt. But, damn, that hurts.
Whatever the reason, I tried tech shirts again years later and liked them. I've since tried to run in cotton again and been miserable.

Equipment is complicated.Will new shoes make me faster? Will a new bike make me faster? Will loosing 15 lbs make me swim faster? No; No; Maybe.
I like my Cannondale Ironman 2000.

Here's my thought process for buying my "new" tri-bike:
  • Am I the best I can be on my road bike? No, I could improve. Don't buy tri-bike. 
  • Could I put tri-bars on my road bike? Yes, but the geometry isn't really right for it to make a positive difference. Buy a tri-bike. 
  • Will a tri-bike make me faster? Maybe, I'd be more aero. Buy a tri-bike.  
"BUY" has "DON'T BUY" 2 to 1!

I bought the tri-bike. I'm not really much faster, yet. I hoped it would help me improve but the jury is still out. Ultimately it is an experiment, like trying any new equipment, to see if it is the best. Or to see what needs to change.

Shoes are the same way. When we started running I had a $16.00 pair from Sports Authority. When the habit of running seemed to be sticking we got me a pair of Nike. After a year we had a gait analysis and got a pair of Saucony. Then Under Armor. Then another gait analysis and custom orthopedic inserts. Then New Balance. Then Nike again. I've had good pairs and bad pairs of each of these brands. I preferred the Under Armor overall, but they discontinued my style.



The lesson in all this is to try something new, but don't commit to the point that is starts to plant seeds of doubt in your ability. I know I can run. I know I can bike. I know I can swim. I know I can improve. I'm not going to let rubber and fabric or any other equipment change that.


I wanted this blog to be about shoes and how a pair of Nike slip-ons have derailed my motivation and performance on runs since the beginning of May. I guess it wasn't the shoes. It was my inability to admit that the pair was not working for me. I ran Tuesday night and was miserable and slow. I ran the same route Wednesday morning in a different pair of Nike and was faster and happier.

Thanks for reading my purge of thoughts. Keep moving forward!

-- Patrick



No comments:

Post a Comment