Sunday, June 29, 2014

Gary McAdams 5K- RECAP

Patrick first did this race in 2008 as a part of the one 5K per month plan.  This is one of the few that year I missed due to being in school.
This run is one of our yearly beach runs- it is flat and HOT!!!  For this years race it seems they got the bright idea to adjust the course a little.  Instead of staying in the neighborhoods we would come back out to the main road earlier.  While this was no problem for us mid-packers, rumor is there was some misdirection for the leaders (no worries they had time to take a detour).  While the changes were "interesting" (no zoning out) they really provided no benefit to us as racers.  In fact there was a slight problem created with having the 2 course water stops close together in order to get them completed prior to runners exiting the neighborhoods and getting onto the main road.  The water stops felt like they were at miles 1 and 1.5 in order to accommodate the changes in the course.  This left a long, straight, hot black top stretch with no water support.  
The after party for this race is always fun and entertaining.  They have a live band, hot dogs, pizza, watermelon, and beer.  The group running this race is normally diverse in their running experience.  
Patrick had a good run with a time of 32:39. 
I had a good run (and was able to run the full distance) with a time of 33:56 putting me 6th of 13 in my age group. For me this is awesome to be mid pack on a run!!!! 
  
It was a gorgeous day. 

** Some of you may not know the story about my written affirmations.  It started as we were facing Ironman New Orleans 70.3.  I had read some about what others had done to help motive and inspire themselves through the event.  I found lots of suggestions on having a montra.  I starting doing this for long races- may first being "I will finish" and sure enough there in New Orleans I gained and the finish line step by step till crossing over it!  So I use the visual montra because sometimes in the racing mode it is difficult to recall your positive montra; being able to look down and see it there helps!!!  All that said to say, I knew I was going to struggle with this 5K because I was struggling with running everyday.  I made my montra "Press On".  That's all I had to do that day was to press on.  I glanced down about 100 times during this short run to see "Press On".  And I did never stopping to walk during the 3.2 miles.  Just pressed on.  It brought me back to having confidence in my running and to having faith in the finish line pull.    

No comments:

Post a Comment