Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Marineland Intermediate Triathlon- RECAP and why you can't trust Patrick on race day :)

This is the first time we have raced the race and it was GREAT!!!  The group putting on this race is a family rooted in triathlon and racing but more importantly they are a family.  This is our second time racing with this group (our first was a marathon in March) and we have been impressed both times with their level of care for the athletes, their jovial attitude, and their overall love for the sport.  
When we arrived at the event site there was some cloud coverage and then there was a down pour!!!!  Therefore we started the race with wet shoes and socks, and caps, and helmets (in case you needed to know what happens when it rains).  But what can you do- good news is the swim is first, so you are wet any way!  
I don't know what I was doing.
Bad news was the swim was first.  The waves were crashing into the turn buoys causing them to move and rock- towards and away and towards and away.  The buoys moved to the poitn that the far buoy was replaced with one of the race workers standing out in the ocean directing us around the loop.  
  Upon the horn we all started out- all of us from every race type (there were three different races going into the water, while two race types started out for a run).  As I ran out into the water I began my struggle and I don't struggle in the water normally.  I ran out made my dive in and BLAM hit by waves.  I started to feel for the waves, but after a few strokes there we were standing up on our feet again trying to move further out.  I got an open spot and took it!  I pushed to the first buoy and made my left.  The problem now was fighting the crashing waves as we moved to the next buoy.  The waves were crashing on us and we were being directed by the swim support to not go out further, causing us to have to fight the break.  As I passed gentleman, who is larger than me, a wave pushed him over on top of my right side causing me to get pushed under on my breath stroke.  I stroked faster to get away from anyone and everyone before breathing again.  As I spotted up I noticed the buoy switch and noticed the actual buoy drifting off down the shore.  Making the next turn the current forced us towards shore.  Upon reaching the shore we ran around one more buoy and back into the water for round 2.  The nice thing that made this round easier was the fact that most of the racers were racing the shorter distance, opening up space in the waves.  After drinking more sea water than I would have liked, my swim was over.  The run up to transistion was different than running on our beaches; these beaches were hard and the sand was a course grain- this was "easy" compared to our run at home.  
 
Hard sand is AWESOME!

I made it to transition as the first female and the four person.  Patrick was shortly behind me and we exchanged "good jobs" and nods in transition.  I struggled here getting my cycling shorts on and felt out of sorts after having struggled in the swim which is normally a relaxing start for me even in rough waters.  I grabbed my bike and was off.  
The route was 2 loops.  I pushed hard on the outs in order to take advantage of the tail wind; all the while knowing the returns would be difficult.  I got an opportunity to pass the shorter distance racers- giving me more confidence in my push.  As I passed I gave hellos and good jobs.  Loop 2 was a little more lonely so on the return I cheered on runners!  The best part of the bike was the officer at the turn around point.  On my first loop I double checked with him that we ALL turn around; he confirmed and wished my good luck and I told him I would be back.  At my second turn he yelled, "welcome back", while stopping a few cars.  I waved, thanked him, and smiled, as he cheered me back towards transition. 
Patrick was only a few minutes behind me coming off the bike.  After fighting to get my knee braces on in the transition area, grabbing my visor and run belt, I was off for the run and I had to pee!!!! 

Yep races are in fact won and lost in the bathrooms!!!  I was having a rough time running given that my bladder was about to explode every time my foot hit the ground.  The bathroom stalls were all full, including the men's, so I was going to try to run the first loop before returning to the bathrooms.  It was not to be.  In the first half mile all I could do was watch the side lines for a place to stop along the way.  Patrick caught me just shy of a mile and about the time that enough was enough.  I found a cover picnic table and told Patrick this road side spot was going to have to do.  Now I know you are thinking, "why would she tell us all of this?" Well I am telling you for 2 reasons- 1. Because it happens out there and it isn't always well timed; 2. Because the actions of my husband proves he may be more competitive than me!  So I huddled in the corner.  Patrick called out that a cyclist was coming by, so I waited.  After he passed it was on!  I looked up to make sure I wasn't getting a "quick, quick" signal to find there was no one there to even give the signal.  My husband who had been claiming to be having shin pain was gone.  I finished up as quickly as possible and grabbing my shorts in a upward yanking position I moved back onto the run course-- right in front of another runner.  The guy now right
behind me was trying to silent his chuckle, as men who race know what happens in the bushes.  Upon Patrick coming back on me for the first loop all I could do was smile and call him names.  He yelled at me, "it is a race".  Really!!!!  Did he seriously just leave me peeing in the bushes just for the chance to beat me??  YUP!!!!  The run was fairly calm form this point.  There was some rain that started as a lite sprinkle and then became a wall of rain.  I pushed through the last few miles, laughing with the guys at the water station.  
My approach to the finish made me laugh as Patrick was standing there.  I knew he had beat me and he crushed my spirit in that pass- this was the first time for him to beat me in triathlon.  He had my full respect (as disappointed as I was in myself) because he pushed through in every discipline, including water intake balance.  My pride in him was greater than any disappointment in myself.  
This was a fun event.  They handed out awards.  Patrick and I both taking first in our age groups.  I was the first female out of the water.  It was a good day. 
1st place for each of us

One of the best things about this race group is they don't take down the finish line till the last athlete come in.  this is something that not all races do and that I respect in this race.  Patrick and stayed for the last racer, a woman who was doing her first duathon and she was doing it at the longer distance.  It was wonderful to be standing there cheering her to the finish along with her friends and the race team.  This woman was so joyed by her own finish and by the support form everyone. 
 
Sometimes I just roam around

Final not worthy event- we showered with an old man!!!  Patrick told me not to say it that way, but it is what it is.  :)  We had plans to go to lunch with family so we wanted to shower off.  There was a beach shower so Patrick and I took turns holding the water and rinsing.  Then one of the older guys came up with his shower bag.  As fellow athletes we welcomed him into our shower-hold-soap-rinse cycle.  He was a nice and polite old guy!!!    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment