Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Father's Day

I have talked a lot about family support, my father is one of the biggest supporters.  
When Patrick and I announced we were going to start running he said, "ok".  When we told him we were going to start racing triathlon he said, "alright".  When we decided to complete a Half Ironman he said, "sounds good."  When we confirmed our entry into IMCHOO my dad said, "We'll be there."  


Through out my life my father has been one of my greatest supporters and teachers.  He allowed me to explore the world, with guidance yet freedom!!!!  He showed me the importance of little things in life.  He brought lessons to life with stories of his childhood.  He grew with us- through our excitement, through our pains, through our unknown moments.  
My father has played one of the biggest roles in forming who I am today (good or bad or ugly).  He taught me to be stubborn, to trust in love, to believe in dreams, and to have the confidence to push on.  
It is the moments my father may only remember in passing that I recall as highlights in my life:  Fungus in the woods, watching him fishing on jetties, going to the river with him and hearing the generating alarms, swimming at the beach, him sipping scotch at dinner, seeing him playing golf with my grandmother, joining in him laughing with my Pop, his smile at my graduations, listening to him joking with my brother, and experiencing his love of my mother.  These little moments and so many more are the reasons I admire my father for the the man he was, the man he grew to be, and the man I have still yet to know.  

On this journey to Ironman I am so thankful to have my father, who has been there since the beginning. Someone who helped to create this stubborn, determined, crazy child.  Someone who will love me no matter what happens on that day.  Someone who will be there for the joy of this accomplishment.  Someone who is pushing me because he believes in achieving dreams.  

Thank you Daddy, for loving me through my life, for loving my brother through his life, for loving my mother through it all.  Thank you for extending this love to Patrick and my ever growing circle of family and friends.  

You will forever be more than my hero, more than my teacher, and more than my guide; because you will forever be my father, something greater than words can explain. 

I love you, Daddy, today and everyday.  
(I'll see you at the finish line with an Oatmeal Pie and a Twinkie.)  


 

1 comment: