Monday, June 30, 2014

MPI Portofino Sunset Tri- RECAP

A few Thursday nights (8 really) during the summer months about 50 to 60 people can be found racing out at the beach.  The Portofino Sunset Tris are a fun, fast, and super short triathlon that gives racers of all levels time to work on transition, form, speed, and comradery. 
Got stuck in traffic so a 5 minute set up was all I got. 
This event consists of a 300 yard swim, 7.5 mile bike, and 1.5 mile run.  Like I said SUPER FAST!!! 
I raced race number 4 this year.  
I was the first female out of the water- with a youth hot on my heels (she actually beat me out of T1).  They started the race in 2 waves, men going out first followed by the women.  While I understand this wave start it was frustrating for me to have to swim through the slower guys; however, let's face it this is true race style for most of the women who are faster in the water.  Once hitting shore it is a good jog to T1 but mostly through grass which is nice.  I decided to not wear socks for this distance and quickly slipped on my shoes and took off- not as quick as the 12 year old mounting her bike just ahead of me. but still speedy.  The bike was fun- out and turn and out and turn then back to T2.  It was a beautiful day out with a slight breeze making the final leg have a nice little tail wind- YAY!!!  I was the 2nd female to return to the transition area from the bike.  Upon entering back into T2 I struggled with getting my knee braces on (I blame it on the salt water).  I was out of T2 and off on the run.  thinking it should be little problem given it was only 1.5 miles.  I struggled with the run.  It started by me forgetting my run belt and having to pin on my run bib as I was leaving transition- yes, there was blood.  My calves cramped and felt like rubber bands about to snap!  I made it to the turn around and pushed through till the finish line, still able to pass back by a few runners.     
The course is well supported by other triathletes so they yell at cars for you and say nice words of encouragement.  
Patrick had a meeting to attend and could not race this night but he will be racing in a future race where I will be volunteering. 
The race also has a handful of giveaways at the end- which is nice so us slow people can win too!!!
I was 6th in the women for this event and 30th overall.  Still hanging out mid pack.
Won a shirt!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment