Sunday, August 10, 2014

Bushwacker 5K- RACE RACAP

I know I am a week behind in this race cap but it has been busy here.  
The Bushwaker 5K is a great race every year.  It is hosted by one of the local run clubs, Captain Fun Runners, and benefits Big Brothers, Big Sisters. 
Pre Race: Happy to Start

This event brings out runners who are new to the sport as well as those not so new but ready for a challenge.  You may think to yourself, "We run to the beach.  it must be flat."  Think again.  The start line starts the first climb.  You turn and wind through a neighborhood and then fit one finial small incline before you make the last right hand turn and then you see it.  Looming in front of you now is the Bob Sikes Bridge, most locals just call it the beach bridge (or at least this local calls it that).
It is a straight up climb to the top.  As you approach you find what you hope is the TOP light pole and you affix your eyes to that spot and climb, soon you will realize the pole you chose is not the top but you will be close enough to not care.  
Now I know what you will say next, "For every up there is a down." And this is true but down, especially at a steep angle, does not equate to easy (those of us with bad knees know this better than any one)!!!  That said there is truth to the joy of getting to run down hill.  Before you head down though take a look around because you won't be able to glace for this long over the bridge from a car.  
This last section is the fun part.  Captian Fun Runners ALWAYS have lots of volunteers out on the course to cheer, blow horns, offer water, and spray you with a supper soaker or two.  
There was one said moment for me this year, upon finishing the race there were no Popsicles.  This is a selling point for me on this race and the first thing I normally tell people about who ask me about this race.  forget the bridge they have Popsicle.  It was a sad day. 
I went elbows out for no POPSICLE!!! 

What did make the day a little better is I was able to run negative splits (where you start slow adn get faster each mile).  No I wasn't trying to do this which makes it even more awesome!!!  I also reached a maximum speed of 10mph at one point and it was not when I was on the downhill.  It was actually right before the hill I guess I was excited. 
Patrick was nursing an injured foot so he took it easy and watched each step as he descended the bridge.  He had a good finish time and was looking strong the whole way.  
The after party was good- fun people, good food. 
This race is one we race each year but this year was a good year.  For me to have such a good run on one of the hottest races I was thrilled. 
Post Race: Happy to Finish

 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment