Tuesday, August 19, 2014

MPI Sunset tri Race 7- RECAP- THE CHALLENGE

Every now and then Patrick gets this idea that he wants to race me in the sport of triathlon- 14 August 2014 was chosen for a throw-down-challenge (the looser buys dinner type challenge).  It seemed the perfect race for such a challenge: this was the last of the individuals MPI Sunset Tri for the season and it was a course we had both raced previously.
As race day approached the mood in the house consisted of a lot of trash talk, but this is really nothing new for us when it comes to racing.  We call it "motivation".
The race was set up the same as all the others but the weather would be a factor today.  The swim was sheltered until you would pass the first buoy and make that left, then you were facing water churned by the wind.  Also in making the second left the group was suppose to swim to flags placed about 30 feet off the normal swim exit as a measure to clear swimmers from an anchored boat (while both Patrick and I followed the rules and went through the flags before running up to T1, not all racers would be able to say the same).  Patrick had a minute head start on me, due to ladies being a second wave.  I thought this would lead to him being out of T1 by the time I got there and force me to catch him on the bike.  But it turns out I came up just behind him out of the water and may have stepped a foot first into T1.  We had a quick chat of the water conditions while dawning shoes and helmets, then off on the bike one behind the other.  Our friends who were guarding the bike mount line yelled for me to go faster as he was coming up to the line, then I heard them yell for him to go pass me. 
A couple that Tri's together, last forever!!!
the bike was a little more difficult than in races past.  The first turn took us into a crossing head wind.  The good thing is in the first direction the wind is blocked and redirected some by the buildings.  I made the first turn about 2 minutes ahead of Patrick, but I could tell he was pushing.  After this turn it would be about four miles of a crossing tail wind; otherwise known as sailing.  Both of us reached speeds into the 20's.  At the final turn it was 2 miles back into the head wind, this time with no buildings to block the wind's resistance.  Patrick was now about 3 minutes behind me.  I reached T2, without Patrick in sight.  I quickly switched to run shoes and knee braces, knowing he would have a faster transition than me so I could not "dilly dally" (as my mother would say). My right calf did think it was going to try to cramp but we talked it out and agreed now was not that moment.  I was off and running.  Patrick was about 6 minutes behind me at this point. I knew he could make it up on the run, so I tired to push out the run.  Some side pains kept me slow for the first half of the out and back course.  On the way back the sun was setting and Patrick was gaining.  This time when I saw him he was only 3 minutes back.  As I raced to the finish line one of the coaches near the line yells that Patrick is behind me so I kicked in my last 200 yards, only to find out Patrick was not in sight yet.
I finished at 50:48. 
Patrick finished at 52:12; putting only three people between us.  
It was a strong come back!!!

It was a good race and an even better dinner at Phillies!!!!

I believe this challenge will be back for another round next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment