Sunday, August 10, 2014

Girl VS. Bike Seat

Before anyone post telling me about try this or do this, let me say, "I like my newest bike seat.  I have liked every one of my bike seats.  All until that one moment." Let me also let you know I love my shammy cream; yes, it is made for ladies.  Now if you would still like to give tips they are more than welcomed but this post is not about me asking for help but rather it is about my offering help and life lessons.
Lesson One: Know your lady parts!!!  That's right ladies they are your parts and you should know them, what makes them happy and what makes them not happy.  Not the unhappy moments are not always avoidable.  You make think horseback riding in a moments notice on vacation is a good idea.  Perhaps the first hour was great, but the second hour lead to unhappiness.  You may feel great for a 20 mile bike ride but miles 25 is killing you. Know what hurts and what is making it hurt.  
Lesson Two: Your lady parts bruise!!!  Just like any other part of your body your lady parts will bruise if you hit down on a bike seat wrong after missing clipping in to your pedal.  They will also perhaps bruise after a long bike ride.  This is normal, painful but normal.   
Lesson Three: Try to figure out what helps!!!  Things are not one stop shopping when it comes to lady parts, why do you think there is an aisle of feminine products?  Every thing from soothing, to aiding, to blocking.  It isn't easy dealing with being a lady so "just sucking it up" isn't the answer.  Try out creams for before, during and after.  Try different shorts or different biking seats.  
Lesson Four: When in doubt ice helps.  That's right again like other parts cool cloths may help to sooth your lady parts after a long bike ride.  Now remember this is a delicate area, don't touch the ice directly to your parts, use a thick towel between you and the ice bag to provide protection.
Lesson Five: Things change!!!  That's right one small change like weight loos or gain, injury, humidity, Tuesdays, can change everything for your lady parts on a bike.  Be aware that one day of discomfort does not mean to trash it and start all over again or to give up. Again, know your parts and pieces and figure out how to make it better.   
Those are my main five lessons as to lady parts, so now I will tell m story.
I have only had 2 seats on my tri bike.  My first one was a hard but slightly flexing seat.  Very little padding.  And it was great, until it wasn't.  I rode this seat until 3 months ago, so for about 2 years.  It fit well.  Then one day it started to not fit so well and after long rides I had some soreness and discoloration. Also my sit bones would hits if I sat up off the tri bars.  The search then began, first to figure out what was causing this problem, then to figure out how to fix it.  I first tried to adjust my seat, making small, logical adjustments. None of which helped.  Then I started to notice that when I talked about my seat pain several people suggested it being my seat.  Maybe I need to change my seat; it had been 2 years and a few hundred miles.  I took this to the internet, where else would you go for help.  Searching bike seats, bike pains, and solutions, to find the answers all directed me toward needing a new seat.  A seat that would help with positioning, a seat that would keep my sit bones forward, a seat that would take pressure off of areas that don't like pressure, and a seat that works for me.  After much research I took action.  I found my seat and purchased it.  It was beautiful.
  I refused to put my seat on for a day, fearing that if it wasn't the answer that only medical intervention would help- Illogical fears creep in sometimes. I put the seat on, made a few adjustments, and it was riding time.  I think our first ride with this new change was about 20 miles.  It was a wonderful 20 miles.  However, about a day after I noticed bruising at the crease of my leg and hip.  It was small but when I got back on the bike it was clear it was the seat's doing.  I made a few more small adjustments (everything on a bike is small adjustments, tap, tap, tap).  Since then it was great no pain and one happy cyclist.  That was until we hit 101 miles on yesterday's bike ride.  I was feeling it.  I had on bike shorts for padding and shammy cream for glide, but I still was having some pain.  this made me think, "You know why it hurts?  You have ridden 101 miles!"  Sometimes the answer is logical.  While I had completed a few century rides none were on my tri bike and none were on this seat.  Together the farthest the three of us had gone was 56 miles.  This was a big leap, one I am glad I took before IMCHOO. Of course the next day (today) getting on the bike was not too fun, but things were feeling pretty good and gelling together, even in tri shorts. 
The long and short is this, know yourself, trust yourself, make small changes, and ride happy (or as happy as you can).
We made it to 100.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment