Sunday, August 31, 2014

Callaway Gardens Tri- RACE RECAP

We traveled to Atlanta to see friends, go to a concert, go to a ball game, have an awesome time, and then race on the way home. Our friends signed up for the 5K event held the same morning.  The event was about an hour and a half outside of Atlanta, where we were staying; meaning it was an early morning!  We were up at 0345, in the car at 0430, and on site at a little after 0600 (the 5K start was at 0750 and the tri started at 0800). 

The swim portion was set to be a 1K swim (.6 miles), but due to other events in the lake later in the day it was cut to a 650m swim (.4 miles).  The good news is we had been warned by the guys setting up next to us in transition that there was a good chance of this happening since the race often cut the swim portion short.  The sun was in a bad place as we swam, once we made the first turn any breathing to the left would leave you seeing spots.  On the second turn spotting the buoys in front was a challenge (it was clearly throwing some athletes off).  The water was warm, so we still are not sure why a few people had on wetsuits, maybe for practice for another race or maybe they like saunas. 
For me the swim was good, I felt strong and focused. I was the second female out of the water overall and in my age group, like I said I felt strong.
There was a slight delay before the women went off due to a male competitor who was needing assistance (there were actually a few of them but this guy was needing a lot of assistance and was no where near the few lifeguard boats).  The RD and the women were screaming for the lifeguard boat noting the swimmer in distress.  After a few minutes some of the men in relay and Clydesdale went after the guy.  I feel horrible not having gone after him and I don't know why I did not go out to help.  Once the other swimmers got to him the lifeguard boat came over and began to assist the swimmer. 
The delay for the women was only a few more minutes.  Some in our group still caught up with men who were struggling through the last portion of the water. 

The bike course was 30K (18.6 miles).  The course was rolling hills with lots of 90 degree, sharp, turns.  These turns were at tops of hills and bottoms of hills making it a dangerous course.  we were told in the pre-race safety meeting that there would be spotters out on the course telling us to slow down and making us aware of these dangerous turns.  There were no spotters, we were on our own to see the turns and hit the brakes, this is not easy coming down a hill.  To top off an already dangerous situation many riders were not using any type of etiquette out there.  They were in the middle of the lane (and bikes were going both directions on a very narrow road with cars too) making passing difficult, I had to cross the yellow line on two occasions due to this type of riding, even after yelling on your left several times.  A few groups were riding consistently at two wide, again making it difficult to pass them.  The usual poor manners was happening too- not calling out a pass, passing close when there was room, and drafting through the turns (it was not a USAT event).  The turns being unguarded and the inefficient passing caused Patrick to end up on the road. 
He wrecked about 6 miles from the bike finish.  There were a few factors in causes for the accident: 1) No spotters or signs telling cyclist to slow and 2) a female rider hanging out in his blind spot and coming to the inside during the turn and 3) he was going too fast and realized too late.  factors of the course, the competitors, and himself created a perfect storm at the most imperfect time.  Later he would tell me he slid about 10 feet on the road and then tucked and rolled to the grass.   A gentleman who we had passed recently noted our like jerseys and sped up to me to tell me about the accident.  I knew where he went down because I knew where the unsupervised turn was located.  I also was still feeling guilty over not helping earlier and needed to know if Patrick was back up on the bike.  I thanked the guy for telling me (the guy was nervous about telling me and not wanting to "ruin' my race), I safely turned back and went to go find him.  I found him and yelled to ask if he was okay, with a "yes" for an answer, I turned again.  The problem was at this point I had no speed and was turning mid-hill, poor planning on my part.  I was asked several times if I was okay and answered "yes".  I hoofed it back to Patrick and followed up on his current state.  He was scraped up and bruising but not bleeding.  He told me he was again okay and still felt good; he also told me I should not have come back to check- yeah like that was an option.  He gave me the go ahead to bike on and to race my race.  I felt bad leaving him but figured he was on high alert and was going to be cautious to the remainder of the race.
As I came into to T2, I alerted our friends to Patrick's condition in order to have extra eyes checking on him. 
My end speed was 19.7 mph (good for me) and placed me 9th in my age group in the bike.

The run was 4.9 miles of beautiful scenery.  The problem I had on the run was for the last 1.9 miles there was no water stop and no support.  This was also a steady uphill section until the last fourth of a mile.
I expected people to be nicer on the run saying "good job' or something back when spoken to- I mean we were racing in the south, people.  but few said anything to me.  On the run I lost ground in my age group and in the race, I fell back to being racked 14th in my age group.
After turning I was glad to see Patrick, who was steady.  He was about a half mile behind me. I was having a rough run to begin with but I was glad to loosen up in the second half.  while there was no water later in the course I actually felt better in this race portion. 
I was glad on the last turn to see our friends again.  They were comfortably waiting under a tree, a place I wanted to be. But first I had to push past the guy in front of me.  The guy and I shared a few words towards the finish then he said to me 'you take this one".  Seriously dude!!  No sir, you fight- and he did--- but I beat him. :) 

I ended up 12th in my Age Group and 37th female overall.
Patrick ranked 15th in his Age Group and 114th male overall. 


While it all ended well, just a few bumps and bruises, I don't think this race will be on the schedule for next year simply due to poor race management and volunteers.  Safety concerns are a major factor for us and given the technical course there needed to be more, much more, support out there.

This group will be racing together again!

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment